Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Protech spring preload spanner?
tegwin

posted on 5/3/07 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Protech spring preload spanner?

Does anyone know what size "C spanner" I need for the protech adjustable dampers?

I cant for the life of me find anything suitable and its driving me nuts having the front end of the car sat on wooden blocks simply because I cant turn up the preload!!

Dunc

[Edited on 5/3/07 by tegwin]

joolsmi16

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I used a "boa constrictor spanner" as the protech as no "C" spanner that will fit. Rescued attachment boa.jpg
Rescued attachment boa.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
its strange you need one as with mine all I need to do is jack the wheel off the ground and I can turn it by hand, a little WD40 saves the threads.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 6/3/07 at 04:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
its strange you need one as with mine all I need to do is jack the wheel off the ground and I can turn it by hand, a little WD40 saves the threads.

You will still need a spanner as hand tight is not enough.

[Edited on 6/3/2007 by nitram38]

russbost

posted on 6/3/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Make your own, I did, & this is the Locost site after all.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
whitestu

posted on 6/3/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I tried a boa constrictor spanner but it wasn't up to the job on mine - the rubber got torn to bits.

I bought a c spanner for a fiver - it was a bit too big so I bent it to fit.

jabbahutt

posted on 6/3/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Protech sell spanners for £5 at their stand at kit car shows. I dare say you should be able to contact them and order one to be sent in the post.

hope this helps

Phil. S

posted on 6/3/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I found the standard 1.9 spanner from demon tweeks works fine on mine.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates)
"The unlived life is not worth examining" (Kopp)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miegru

posted on 6/3/07 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I don't use a spanner. If I take of the load (which you should do anyway) and 'help'by turning the spring too it is actually quite light to turn.

How more locost can you go...:-)

nick205

posted on 6/3/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
standard 1.9" C spanner works on my Protech shocks just fine - I did cut a bit off the handle length though to make it easier to work on the rear shocks. Also imperative that the wieght/load is off the shocks so as not to risk damaging the threads.
Hellfire

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Why not simply buy an adjustable C Spanner. Draper make one and I'm sure others do too.

Phil

indykid

posted on 6/3/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Why not simply buy an adjustable C Spanner. Draper make one and I'm sure others do too.

Phil

because most adjustable ones you see are about 3 or 4 times the price of fixed ones.

i bought a 1.9" one off the gaz stand at stoneleigh a few years back. think it was £4.

tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.