Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Show?
brashhighlander

posted on 6/3/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Which Show?

I have never been to a kit car show before and will probably only be able to attend one, so the question is what is the best one to attend?

Bear in mind that I would like to check out MNR/MK/Mac1. I need to get a good look around these kits as I will be ordering one of them later in the year.

Ahh the joys of coming from the Scottish highlands.

Thanks

ned

posted on 6/3/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would definately say Stoneleigh, by far the biggest and best. Only problem is I think MAC1 are only attending Newark this year, maybe go to their workshop on way past?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Mac#1 owners are planning a bit of a do at Newark this year. Stoneleigh is also usually worth a visit.

MK owners usually put on a good show at both of these.

Stonelieigh is usually the biggest (just outside Coventry). It was very busy last year. Hard to see it all in a day unless you are focussed on what you want to see as a priority.

ewan

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I've only been to one and that was Newark, and will be going again. I had the same idea as you, and went with the intention of purchasing my kit.

I'm now the proud owner of a MAC 1 9R and as soon as my wife tells me that I've finished the house, I'll be able to get started. Should be able to start it within a month.

If you are passing Aberdeen on your way down and want to have a look at the kit, please let me know.

DarrenW

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Following a show i would also recommend a tour to the factories. MK and Mac#1 are fairly close to each other (approx 20 mins or so). MNR is on the way down (other side of Harrogate at Darley - cracking drive out in the posher end of Yorkshire).

Id strongly recommend a visit on their home turf to have a proper discussion. If you do MNR. MK then Mac#1 you can then have a break somewhere to mull it all over and then call in on the chosen one to place deposit and spec the car up.

Agriv8

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
..... (other side of Harrogate at Darley - cracking drive out in the posher end of Yorkshire).

Well it is whe I am not there

Not sure If MNR are doing any show dates this year, You can always email Chris at the workshop sure he will know.
Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

DarrenW

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Good advice Agriv8 - call the manufacturers and see if they are going to the shows. It seems to me that the better manufacturers are so busy at the moment that they are considering not doing some of the shows to concentrate on developing their products this year. That said im sure there will be loads to see at Newark and Stoneleigh which sadly are about as far North as they get these days, and being South of Leeds / Sheffield will no doubt be overrun by Cockneys Never mind eh!!!!!

ned

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
im sure there will be loads to see at Newark and Stoneleigh which sadly are about as far North as they get these days, and being South of Leeds / Sheffield will no doubt be overrun by Cockneys Never mind eh!!!!!

Well we do like our shandy's down here

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brashhighlander

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Gents

I may give the show a miss and arrange visits to the various premises over a couple of days instead.

redeye

posted on 6/3/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
where abouts in the highlands are you?
bob

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh is double the size of newark (almost) and facilities for camping are far better too.

The only downfall is the ale's expensive and crap (keg) sp take your own

Reasonable food and both stoneleigh and newark are good club events, you get the truth about bits pieces and suppliers just by wandering round and having a chat in club areas.

miegru

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
COming from the Netherlands I had the same problems some years ago. Visited some shows but found that it was difficult to really get deeper on the info given.

Made a tour some time later visiting the factories and that was much more helpfull.

Shows are perfect i.m.o. once you have the kit and have booked some progress. You then know what details you want to see in other cars and what small stuff you need to buy. Having buildt two now I find the parkinglot just as interesting as the official show. It never ceases to amaze me how many different solutions there seem to be to certain problems and you can steal a lot with pride... (wiringloom routing / tidying, mirrors, seats, dashboards, etc.)

Mies

DarrenW

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
They are my sentiments exactly Mies.

Before i selected the kit i was overwhelmed by the options and choices, the shows just served to confuse matters further. Once building the shows helped with the enthusiasm, direction and solutions. Once built and on the road they are an excellent meeting point and the parking areas are where its all happening. The convoys are also excellent (if you dont conk out en-route eh Chris / Hellfire - thought id get that in before i take another rib bashing)

Hellfire

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brashhighlander
Cheers Gents

I may give the show a miss and arrange visits to the various premises over a couple of days instead.

If you can get down to MK Sportscars on a Saturday, there is usually a decent gathering of Indys to look at and maybe get passenger rides in.

Phil

brashhighlander

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ewan, I will probably take you up on that offer.

Redeye, don't technically live in the highlands, I live in between Elgin and Forres so Moray. Just wanted to get the point over that I have a long way to travel. Where about are you?

redeye

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Aah I see...well im actually in Aberdeen but my car is in Lairg....do you know where that is.....near Bonar bridge and Dornoch....ur welcome to come have a look next time Im home
twybrow

posted on 6/3/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh was great last year. It helps that the Mrs works on site so we get free entry! Lots to see, buy and oggle over... I will be there again this year (hopefully sourcing parts rather than just looking!)
brashhighlander

posted on 6/3/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Redeye

Yes I know where abouts you are. Drop me a U2U next time you are in Lairg

redeye

posted on 6/3/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Will do

hoping to go home at the end of the month to do a bit of work on the car.

let me know when u get ur kit and ill pop round for a look

patrick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.