Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Me new run-about
CraigJ

posted on 8/3/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Me new run-about

Sold the FTO to free up sum cash and bought this for a runabout.

Rev 3 bout 173bhp.

What u think

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/3/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
hopefully it will stay that way and not endup a fake ferrari

I think if I was going to get a production sports car I'd get the same, nice choice.

[Edited on 8/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CraigJ

posted on 8/3/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
lol no fake ferrari here. This is just a runabout.

emsfactory

posted on 8/3/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with the ferrari replicas? Rescued attachment ferrari.jpg
Rescued attachment ferrari.jpg

CraigJ

posted on 8/3/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
WTF is that?

woodster

posted on 8/3/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had one of those before me and mrs woodster had the kids .. bless em ... it was white and 6months old when we got it ... nice car.. in the dry it was glued to the road in the wet even with yokos it was wild .. I ended up facing the wrong way on a dual carriageway once ............ the MR2 NOT THE RED THING

[Edited on 8/3/07 by woodster]

chrisg

posted on 8/3/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I like that Craig

(again not the red abortion)

Fantasic engine, I used to have the earlier model, very difficult to "get friendly" in!

Cheers

Chris

G.Man

posted on 8/3/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
lovely looking MR2

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

timf

posted on 8/3/07 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
WTF is that?

mk 1 honda civic

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952

Werner Van Loock

posted on 8/3/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
You could always turn it into the following:

http://www.ddrmotorsport.com

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mandbsheldon

posted on 8/3/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote

Nick Skidmore

posted on 8/3/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
The red thing is a Suzuki SC100GX all tarted up.

Has the 1 litre engine from the Rhino jeep in the back on top of a transverse gearbox. bit like a lot of middy conversions now.

The gearbox / linkage was terrible and in the 3 years they were sold in this country they had 26 gearbox / linkage revisions!!

I had one in 1993 on a Y plate with 14.000 miles on it. They were rust buckets but this one was owned by two elderley sisters and was immaculate.

It got squashed by skip lorry on Wolverhampton ring road!!

last time I checked they were worth a few quid.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tom_loughlin

posted on 8/3/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Good man, I too am an mr2 fan. my last two cars have been mr2's. Last one was a rev2 n/a and now have a turbo.

Brilliant cars, nice do drive, and nice looking too (at least I think they are)

Yours looks good, when polished, they look really well in white!

Going to be good having the t-bar in the summer too... unless you get the seven out!
Tom

[Edited on 8/3/07 by tom_loughlin]

chrisg

posted on 8/3/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock

That is so near and yet so far!

It wouldn't have taken much work to get that extremely close to the original.

See what I mean?

Still nice though

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 8/3/07 by chrisg]

Hellfire

posted on 8/3/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think it's the best MR2 they made, but they are still a girls/third sex car.

<Runs for cover>

Steve

tom_loughlin

posted on 8/3/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used to think that steve, until I got one!
they are great cars, and when/if you've had one, you'll see just how fun they are.
The turbo is ballistic... keeps up with a brand new impreza wrx sti which i was impressed with!

and all that for £4k?

Can't beat it! and it has a roof...the fact that it leaks is irrelevant (i like to think it adds to the character of the car)

chris_harris_

posted on 8/3/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Wel i've ben on the hunt for a new run about but just can't seem tp part with my FTO. Unfortunately i've never been a fan of the Mr2's but that does look nice and tidy.

Regards Chris

pajsh

posted on 8/3/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Agree it's a lovely looking car and the best looking MR2.

First one was "different" and you had to love it, latest is fugly.

My mum had and SC100 "whizz kid" but as Nicks said it gave in to rust quite easily. For a 1000cc engine and little weight it was surprisingly poor at getting up to 60.

There is a guy racing one grass track against the mini's around shropshire which is interesting as it's pretty much the only RWD car that qualifies in the class.

[Edited on 8/3/07 by pajsh]

[Edited on 8/3/07 by pajsh]

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

andyps

posted on 8/3/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock

That is a really good looking car which is obvious what it is supposed to look like, but not close enough to fool anyone with any real knowledge.

I know this sounds strange as I am building a vehicle which will look very much like a Lotus 7, but I am not really into the whole replica kit car thing. I think it probably relates to not wanting to have something which trys looks like something really expensive and fast, but actually isn't. Probably means that a 7 is OK. The suzuki based one is actually fun in a strange way as it is so far from looking like an F40 that it doesn't really matter - the ones based on TR7's however, are a different matter!

MR2 is a great car, but watch out for it in the wet. Never driven one, but they do have a reputation which all owners I have spoken to say is well deserved.

[Edited on 8/3/07 by andyps]

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

CraigJ

posted on 9/3/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris_harris_
Wel i've ben on the hunt for a new run about but just can't seem tp part with my FTO. Unfortunately i've never been a fan of the Mr2's but that does look nice and tidy.

Ive just sold my FTO it was a great car to drive comfy etc but TBH not that good when it came to performance or grip, i was a bit dissapointed.

I would have gone for a tubby but i was only after a run around so this will do. Cant fault MR2's this is the second one ive had in 2 years, last was Rev2. Love jap cars ive had a few, S13 200sx, Celica GT, 2x MR2's now, 2.2 Vtec Prelude and an Impreza turbo and never had a problem with them.

martyn_16v

posted on 9/3/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
very difficult to "get friendly" in!

Yes, you do need an understanding and above all flexible partner

I had a rev1 G-Limited, in the classic Super mostlyRedbutgoingabitpink III. Fading roof aside it was absolutely mint, not a spot of corrosion anywhere no matter where you looked. Every time I spend half an hour trying to free a rusty nut these days I curse myself for ever selling it, it really did look like it had just left the factory. I do get tempted to have a look at tubbys in autotrader every now and then...

martyn_16v

posted on 9/3/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
MR2 is a great car, but watch out for it in the wet. Never driven one, but they do have a reputation which all owners I have spoken to say is well deserved.

Can all the owners you've spoken to not drive? It does really irritate me when people trot this out time and again, to get one to chuck you off you have to drive like an utter pen1s, the roadholding is just absurd. As long as you bear in mind you're driving a rwd car with a fair amount of weight at the back it'll be fine, they're actually a dream to balance on the throttle around a corner. I had an early one which was apparently the biggest deathtrap going and never once did I end up backwards in a tree. The problems are almost entirely due to fwd pilots getting in and driving it like a corsa. Admittedly Toyota did make a couple of changes but then killing your customers is generally frowned upon even if it is their own fault

andyps

posted on 10/3/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
quote:
Originally posted by andyps

Can all the owners you've spoken to not drive? It does really irritate me when people trot this out time and again, to get one to chuck you off you have to drive like an utter pen1s, the roadholding is just absurd. As long as you bear in mind you're driving a rwd car with a fair amount of weight at the back it'll be fine, they're actually a dream to balance on the throttle around a corner. I had an early one which was apparently the biggest deathtrap going and never once did I end up backwards in a tree. The problems are almost entirely due to fwd pilots getting in and driving it like a corsa. Admittedly Toyota did make a couple of changes but then killing your customers is generally frowned upon even if it is their own fault

For one of them I would agree that they maybe couldn't drive, but not necessarily the others. Was also reported as a potential problem in road tests of the early mk2 MR2's, which was probably the reason Toyota made the changes.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.