Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota 4A-GE Help
mark_mcd

posted on 13/3/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota 4A-GE Help

Hi,

I am currently in the market for a locost 7 based kit-car (leaning towards MK Indy possibly on new chassis if funds permit...) and am deciding on engine options but am a bit confused and hope you can help me. The engine will likely either be a 2.0 Pinto from the Sierra donor or a 16v Toyota 4A-GE unit mated to the sierra type-9 box' via the RWD mounting kit from RAW.

What I would like to know is how much extra work is required to get the Toyota engine to physically fit the car over a Pinto? I cannot weld so need the fitment to be fairly straightforward. How easy is it to mount? Any help appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark

Gazza

posted on 13/3/07 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hello - I've got Luego Velocity with a 16V AGE fitted - it went in no problems using a Type 9 fitted with the RAW bell housing and RAW engine mounts. Didn't need to modify anything.

I'm guessing that the MK chassis is very similar to the Luego although never looked at one so can't be sure.....

have a look on my www link and there is a few pics of the engine in the chassis....

[Edited on 13/3/07 by Gazza]

Just a bag o' rusty spanners

COREdevelopments

posted on 13/3/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
think the mk would be a better fit as the bulkhead is not as square as luego one. it curves round more am i right??

scutter

posted on 13/3/07 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say tell Mk what you're planning to fit and they should make the mounts for you..

There is/was a MK indy running a 4AGE in the kitcar championship so they will have an idea what your talking about, as for the size the 4AGE is much smaller and lighter than the pinto.

ATB Dan

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark_mcd

posted on 13/3/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good. so basically with the correct engine mounts the 4A-GE should go pretty much straight in?

i have another query regarding the speedo, etc. i would be hoping to use standard sierra clocks in the car - would these still work with the toyota engine?

cheers,
Mark

edit: gazza thanks for the link to your site! if you don't mind me asking how much has the engine install set you back in total for the car?

[Edited on 13/3/2007 by mark_mcd]

ole carter

posted on 13/3/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark....this happens to be my 1st post,only recently come across this forum,but if you are interested my younger brother is just about to break his mk1 mr2 which had a recon engine from fensport,was put in the car but about 18 months ago.but it has never been out the garage....other commitments and alike,never got round to finishing the car.Drop me a pm if interested..cheers Andy
chrisg

posted on 13/3/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark_mcd

i have another query regarding the speedo, etc. i would be hoping to use standard sierra clocks in the car - would these still work with the toyota engine?

cheers,
Mark

If you're using the type nine from the same Sierra as the instruments then it should be fine the cable drive or speed sensor (Depending on which Sierra you've got) is on the gearbox tail shaft.

cheers

Chris

mark_mcd

posted on 13/3/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
quote:
Originally posted by mark_mcd

cheers,
Mark

If you're using the type nine from the same Sierra as the instruments then it should be fine the cable drive or speed sensor (Depending on which Sierra you've got) is on the gearbox tail shaft.

cheers

Chris

cheers chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.