Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Parts washer
iank

posted on 15/3/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Parts washer

I have a pile of greasy road grime cover parts which need to be made clean enough to paint.

The small bench mounted parts washers are going for about £40 which seems rather excessive for what they are. A big deep washing up bowl (or a bucket) and a washing machine drum to give up it's life to make a drainer basket will cost nothing.

But I'm stuck for a locost source of submersible pumps that are relatively low pressure, but will take solvents being pumped through them.

Thoughts are for aquarium water pumps, or windscreen washers, but I'm concerned about the duty cycle of the later and tolerance of degreasers for both.

Anyone got any good ideas, any places selling replacement parts for parts washers for sensible money?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ch1ll1

posted on 15/3/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
what about a cheap fish pond pump

tks

posted on 15/3/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

i tell you:
there is no suchs thing as a cheap pump wich will pump everything you throw at it.

in work we needed to pump arround warm termic oil (in a heat exchanger)

they guys i asked came up with pumps costing as much as 1300euro...with ceramic bearings etc.. etc..

i holded strong and we used at the end a CV pump because of the Empeller melting i drawed it up in cad and we let them mill out of alloy tot kost 350euro and the pump hasn't broken down anymore..

every manual will tell you that its only for water use but the best thing is to try your self..

i would again use a CV pump they are cheap and very durable....

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Doug68

posted on 15/3/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
What about a used electric fuel pump?
designer

posted on 15/3/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
A small pond pump is an option, a drill mounted pump, as available at MachineMart.

Or just a bucket and brush.

I have a small bench cleaner, a tub and brush is just as good.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 15/3/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would vote for a brush (and some parifin)... Simple and locost...

[Edited on 15/3/07 by Bluemoon]

Peteff

posted on 15/3/07 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have an old tin bath, a brush and a gallon of Jizer. I have a pond and I can't see any of the pumps I've ever had being up to the job and they weren't cheap either.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MG David

posted on 15/3/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Caustic Soda

I have used a bath of caustic soda and an old loo brush on steel and iron parts

The parts are left to soak overnight, pulled out given a quick rub with the brush and put back for longer if required. It will take alot of paint off as well.

You need to make it quite consentrated and if you scratch paint first it comes off quicker.

Always wear eye protection and thick rubber gloves.

cossiebri

posted on 15/3/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Dishwasher..

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

spaximus

posted on 15/3/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own from an old washing machine and a stainless catering sink. For the pump I use a drill mounted pump from machine mart. About £15 it cost mounted on an old electric drill, It has the trigger fixed open and then the power is switched on bu a string pull. Any pond pump will usually not be up to shifting parafin.
MkIndy7

posted on 15/3/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I know there not likely to be much good, but the do those drill mounted pumps in the pound shop... Gotta be worth a try

Maybe just leave it sat in some solvent overnight to see what happens before trying to pump and put pressure through it.

Definately lo-cost

paulf

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used central heating pumps to pump coolant on a cylindrical grinder in the past.They are low pressure but quite high flow and should stand up to mild solvents ok .
Paul.

tks

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
CV= Central Heating

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

caber

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you are raiding a washing machine use its pump! If you only use diesel or paraffin you should be OK with most plastics for a while at least.

I use the paraffin spray gun that came with my compressor for most jobs followed by Mr Muscle oven cleaner and the water pressure washer, most of this is done on a total loss basis Finally anything that still won't budge is treated using brake or carb cleaner whatever I picked up at the last autojumble at £1 a can and the offending object is treated to an overnight stay in the electrolysis bath if it is rusty.

If I am feeling lazy it is straight on with the silver or black hammerite if i care then it is sprayed with red oxide primer first. This seems to be working pretty well ATM

Caber

JonBowden

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
In a garage I used to work for, they had a big drum of very nasty cleaning fluid that would clean anything.
The active fluid was kep under a layer of water to prevent fumes getting out. The stuff was considered quite dangerous.
Any idea what this was

Jon

flak monkey

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a compressor?

Honestly one of the best ways of cleaning stuff I have found is a compressor and a parrafin gun, coupled with a stiff brush. You can stand whatever you are washing in a drum and pressure wash it with parrafin/petrol/whatever. Then drain the liquid back off and recycle it.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

NS Dev

posted on 16/3/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I wash stuff in paraffin (in a normal off-the-shelf parts washer) and then for ally stuff like cylinder heads, stand it on a clean wooden table outside and blast it with gunwash celly thinners at 100psi through an old spray gun.

This works a treat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Angel Acevedo

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
model airplane refueling pump???
My guess.....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.