Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost running costs?
Aussie

posted on 18/7/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Locost running costs?

Hey over the course of the weekend - how much would it cost to run the car?

ie: including race entry fee's, tyres, fuel, etc....

Thanks heaps,

Nick

This month up for grabs I have a copy of G. Wayne Miller's new book - Men and Speed.

So check out http://www.nick-kjaer.com for more info on how to enter this free monthly competition.

DickieB

posted on 20/7/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Too much for you Nick - you'd leave us all standing!
Race fee - £110 (averaged across season, "better" tracks are more)
Tyres - 1 set of Yoko 539s all season, unless you buff them then 2 sets. Each full set is about "230 buffed or £180 unbuffed)
Fuel - about 20 litres for the race car, and then some more for your towing barge.
Accommodation - tents are free
Beer - lots make it expensive
Repairs - Ooops.
Maintenance - cheap
Dickie
http://www.TeamDickie.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mranlet

posted on 28/7/03 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you drive the car to the track, your costs could be even less. Add a 2" RHC beam with a pin hole to the rear and tow yourself a trailer and you can bring your tools and equipment and a bigger tent (or flip the trailer over and sleep under it like I would do).

Cars that are the Locost's size are very good on gas, so most of your cost is going to be the entry fee.

-MR

Aussie

posted on 28/7/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
what sort of mpg can you get out of them do you reckon?

This month up for grabs I have a copy of G. Wayne Miller's new book - Men and Speed.

So check out http://www.nick-kjaer.com for more info on how to enter this free monthly competition.

DickieB

posted on 28/7/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Are you mad? MPG?

I use about 20 litres for 10 laps of qualifying and 10 laps of racing. SO I suppose that is 40 miles per 20 litres or 40 miles per 4.405 gallons or 9.08 miles per gallon. But since when has that been a major factor in our calculations? No-one in the Locost series drives to and from races.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aussie

posted on 29/7/03 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DickieB
Are you mad? MPG?

I use about 20 litres for 10 laps of qualifying and 10 laps of racing. SO I suppose that is 40 miles per 20 litres or 40 miles per 4.405 gallons or 9.08 miles per gallon. But since when has that been a major factor in our calculations? No-one in the Locost series drives to and from races.

lol! Well obviously i'am mad. Urm but like surely you get decent economy out of it when just cruising on the roads?

And i'am allowed to drive the car to the circuit if i want can't i?

[Edited on 29/7/03 by Aussie]

DickieB

posted on 29/7/03 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
As long as it is road legal then yes you can drive it to the track. That said, I don't know of any one who bothers to MOT, tax and insure their car - they all have to be MOT-worthy, but do not actually need an MOT certificate. I suppose tax, MOT and insurance is cheaper than buying a towcar and trailer. Just don't wrap it!
D Beddows

posted on 29/7/03 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
You might well be able to drive to the circuit in your car and then race it ............what happens though when it's time to go home and it only has 3 wheels securely attached to the car? Rather someone else than me (and someone who's preferably closely related to an AA type bloke) cos such an occurance isn't that uncommon..............
GParkes

posted on 30/7/03 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
You would also need to take the car for an SVA test, which I believe can be quite a bit of hassle and expense, and you would probably have to do extra things to the car inside and out to improve safety for the occupants and pedestrians when driving on the road to satisfy the SVA test.

As stated above, driving a race car to the meeting is rather risky in case it gets damaged, if you want to drive it then hill climbs or sprints would be better, as then it is up to you how hard you push to reduce the risk of damage.
Also, there isn't much room in a locost for tools and spares!

steve26

posted on 30/7/03 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
GParkes, you have a U2U
Aussie

posted on 30/7/03 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
So do you now Steve.

mranlet

posted on 31/7/03 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I know that here in the US, there is a crowd of racers that drives to and from events. Most are the type to just go and run and aren't concerned about competing in the top bracket, and therefore have less of a chance of an off.

If you are interested in autocrossing (granted that they do that on that side of the pond) you would be fine with towing a small trailer with spares to and from events. I know of a guy who lives in Tampa to go to school and race at autocross on the weekends and uses his WRX wagon as his garage. When he goes to race he just empties everything out of the car and runs, being quite competitive. When the day's over he packs it all up and rolls home. For a lot of people here in the states their race car is their ONLY car...

I would drive to and from, but maybe I'm just that crazy.

-MR

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.