Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: exhaust systems
DREWB

posted on 20/7/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
exhaust systems

Would someone be kind enough, to tell me where to get those, out of the bonnet type exhaust systems, as used in the race series. Thanks Drew
steve26

posted on 21/7/03 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Drew - the 2 main 'commercially available' systems that i know of are Tony Law or Stuart Taylor.

S.T. is a stainless system, slightly cheaper, T.L. is mild steel - more expensive but 'probably' better quality + performance.

Best Regards,
Dan S
Locost 69

ajullien

posted on 6/8/03 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Dan,
Why would you say mild steel is better than stainless?
I had always presumed it was the other way around...
Alex

steve26

posted on 7/8/03 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Al, should have explained better... I meant the TL system is probably a better design in terms of tuned lengths, freer flowing, weld quality, inlet matching etc...

('probably'

Hellfire

posted on 6/11/03 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
How odd...

Steve26 - I don't understand the theory behind your comment, any chance you could explain a bit more? I would think the same as ajullien about the St.St./Mild St. costs/quality issues.

Is it dues to St.St being more difficult to weld or something?

Sorry for being a bit DIM!

Deckman001

posted on 6/11/03 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I assume he was talking about performance ( a couple of bhp make a lot of difference in a 1300 racer ), not looks or build quality

Jason

DickieB

posted on 6/11/03 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's a performance thing! Steve26 (aka Dan) is referring to Tony Law who is a legend in the exhaust world, as opposed to Stuart Taylor who make great kitcars etc but are not exhaust experts like Tony. That said, I'm sure ST will have done a good job on the exhaust, probably using another expert like Wunoff etc.

It would be interesting to compare the difference between a less well designed stainless exhaust to a better designed mild steel one...........

Anyone want to buy both and take them somewhere to be tested?????

Dickie

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DickieB

posted on 6/11/03 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, I've just noticed. This is my 33rd posting on the forum, tying with Steve26 (aka Dan), and way ahead of Big Al. If only I was as good on the race track.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Palin

posted on 6/11/03 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry Dickie, you're still a country mile ahead of me!

Have you started fixing your car yet? After Mallory your car looked as bent as mine.

Hopefully by next season mine will be straight and have a halfway-decent engine in it. The whole Flinstones-style open floor and running approach just wasn't getting me anywhere!

DickieB

posted on 8/11/03 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Rob
Car is now half a car - everything that attaches to the front end is now removed. I will be taking it away next weekend for a "cut and shut" on the front end, and will then put everything back on! Mind you, most of it needs replacing!
What happened to yours?
Dickie
PS, Yep, I'll be sorted by beginning of next year so don't you go getting too quick on me!

Rob Palin

posted on 8/11/03 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be doing pretty much the same with mine in the next couple of weeks. I hope Ian Gray's got a decent stash of chassis tubing to hand.

Mine was bent when i bought it but it had been knocked both ways and was more or less straight so i left it as it was.

After a minor disagreement with the tyre barrier at Cadwell it's not so symmetrical any more but i've been able to get around it by adjusting the suspension. Now i've got the time to fix it properly so a new front end is in order while i'll have the engine out ready to fit the new standardised camshaft. my original GT version has worn down to little more than a straight pole!

I am hoping to be a little quicker next season but i wouldn't bother checking your mirrors just yet!

DREWB

posted on 11/11/03 at 02:59 AM Reply With Quote
Just to give some feedback, we decided to throw in our lot with Tony Law Exhausts and what alot it was! Hope to do a test day soon, just to prove was all worth it . It must be said it looks good, fit perfect, and with out them needing the car. thanks Drew
DickieB

posted on 6/1/04 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rob
How's the rebuild coming along?

Engine should be rebuilt this weekend, and then ready to be refitted to the car which now has a straight chassis!

Shame I can't afford a new exhaust manifold now :-(

Dickie

Rob Palin

posted on 6/1/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dickie

The rebuild's not going too well at the moment as work's going crazy and i can't get the time to spend on the car.

The engine's out and partially stripped but i'll have to wait until the weekend to finish that off and even then i've got to work at the Autosport show so it'll be a squeeze.

People who know about engines keep telling me it should only take an hour or two - they forget i've only just discovered which oily bit actually is the engine!

DickieB

posted on 6/1/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Rob

It does only take an hour or 2 - as long as you know how - I went for the "phone a friend" option - he's returning this weekend to help me put it all back together again. I bet I'll have bits left over! Kent Cams were very quick at stamping and returning the cam, so that should help you!

Can't get new bottom joints (Maxi) - they seem to be getting rare as QH has stopped making them. I've been offered some by a local motor factors at £25 each, but declined! Apparently Delphi Lockheed still do them, so I'll try there.

Dickie

200mph

posted on 6/1/04 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
in response to some of the earlier posts, if anyone wants more info on exhausts, headers, primaries etc, send me a u2u and I'll send an email.

DickieB

posted on 14/1/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I sent you a PM after more exhaust info - nothing heard.......
Any chance of the info, or at least a name.......
Cheers
Dickie

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.