Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto problems
talltony

posted on 26/3/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto problems

Hi Everyone,

Yet again I'm having a few problems with my 2.0 pinto. Without going through the thick and thin of it all, the car was off the road for a 2 month period, I got it all okay, and then I came across a problem in that the engine would not idle. Previously it was set to 900rpm, and then somehow it disappeared!

I don't know how this happened, all I can think of was that once a mate used the lever on the carbs (Weber twin 40s) to rev the engine.

What I did was adjust a little screw above this lever which did the trick and the engine now idles.

Now I have a problem that the engine doesn't run smoothly. It stutters slightly when pressing the loud pedal to the floor, and also seems to be using more petrol. The most concerning thing is that when I turned the ignition off the engine continued turning over for a few seconds, sounding rather dreadful. Then there was a final little 'pop' from the exhaust and it stopped. Any ideas? Is it overfueling?

I've also noticed that the exhaust is popping and banging more frequently and more violently upon liftoff than it used to.

Is it a simple case of the carbs need retuning? If so, where would be the best place in the York area?

Thanks for all the help

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
At lease one of the jets sounds blocked and I'd check that fuel is squirting out the accelerator jets as that will cause hesitation. Have you got a good new fuel filter on?

its not over fueling, its actually running too lean and getting very hot, thats why it can keep running without a spark

[Edited on 26/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
talltony

posted on 26/3/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, I love this place. Cheers Mr Whippy, I will check the accelerator jets.

Without wanting to sound completely unknowledgeable, which indeed I am, where are they and what do I do?

grassracer

posted on 26/3/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
For tuning/ set up in your area...don't go past Bogg Bros at East Lutton near Malton, they did a cracking job on the 45s on my grasser last time I was there
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
The Webbers have quite a lot of jets so don't just randomly remove them and don't stick things into the holes, as even a scratch will change their performance. Like I said it sounds like more than one things blocked. To clear the mixture jet at the base of the carb (usually has a spring coiled round it) start the car and wind it out say about 5 turns and blip the throttle then screw it back by the same amount. This should let any dirt get past the needle. For the accelerator look down the carb, there's a bent tube in each of the barrels. Move the throttle linkage and you should see it squirt fuel from the end of each pipe. If not then that's the one that’s blocked. Cleaning them is tricky and best done by blasting compressed air down them. Your best to buy a manual for these carbs, as regular cleaning is a fact of life...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cadebytiger

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
How often are we talking? i have had mine running for a while now and have never cleaned them out.

I do have slight hesitation if i boot it hard sometimes.

I seem to remember also being able to stall the car if i boot the throttle full from idle with no load. I thought this was just a carb thing?!?!

Where can you get a manual from?

Rup

[Edited on 26/3/07 by cadebytiger]

DIY Si

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your accelerator jets are under sized slightly. I think Haynes do a Webber set up and tuning book.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

cadebytiger

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
it was set up on a rolling road before i had it.

i cannot remember who by but i think they were quite well respected.

Could they be blocked?

DIY Si

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly. They are supposed to be the hardest part of setting up webbers, as being a fair bit out makes no real difference. Being undersized is easier to spot than beign over. Under (or partly blocked) gives hesitation on booting it. Oversized mainly just uses more fuel.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

talltony

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Would the car be okay to drive for 35-40 miles? This would allow me to drive as far as Malton? I'm a little concerned that its running lean, I guess this would do some damage long term.

Failing that, could some kind person point me in the right direction of the sorting this out. Mr Whippy - when you say I need to look down the barrel for the bent tube that squirts fuel, is that a case of removing the filters and peering inside? And I presume that the mixture jet adjuster is external and at the base of each barrel adjacent to the inlet manifold? Sorry for being a completely inept mechanic, I am learning quick!

Is there a website I can refer to that anyone knows of?

cadebytiger

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
oh right ic.

Normally if you boot it i guess you should get a real kick because you get a squirt of fuel.

Does a situation ever exist where the timming changes quickly and the fueling is not able to keep up? Or is this why you have accel jets ??

Thanks for the help!

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
handy link...

http://scripts.cgispy.com/forums/forum.cgi?action=index&cat=Weber_Chat&user=WebconUKLtd

cadebytiger

posted on 26/3/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if this helps too. Taken from the tigerownersclub

http://www.tigerownersclub.co.uk/downloads/download_files/selection_and_tuning_of_weber_carbs.pdf

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a fab Webber manual with a huge multi carb temptation on the cover which if I remember correctly is produced by Haynes...

DIY Si

posted on 26/3/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Webbers respond to the differing amounts of air flowing through them, which means they take a moment to respond. This is what the accel. jets/pump are for, to overcome the slight delay. Otherwise they are set preety much by the air demand of the engine, and therefore by rpm (roughly). If set correctly the timing and fueling will match at all rpm points, with the accel jets takign care of any sudden throttle openings. This however is much harder than it sounds, as the jets only come in certain sizes, so it can be hard to match all the way up the rev range. My mini was like this. My local place had to use their strongest race jets and still drilled them out a bit to get the fueling right at the top end. A good place will get close, a very good place should be near spot on. Hence why it costs a fair bit to get done properly.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
all conventional carbs excluding piston type like vv or su etc require the accel jets and boy do you notice when their blocked

Macbeast

posted on 26/3/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confuse the issue....

Are we sure it's not the float's stuck after 2 month lay off causing overfuelling and carbon deposits causing the run-on?

A quick look at the spark plugs would settle the matter.

talltony

posted on 26/3/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Macbeast, do tell more...
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
doubt its that as if the floats stuck then fuel will be pouring out the float chamber vent pipe

talltony

posted on 26/3/07 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
doubt its that as if the floats stuck then fuel will be pouring out the float chamber vent pipe

What does that mean

The girlfriend did comment on a slight wiff of petrol when I drove up in it. I checked everything I could think of, found no leakage or further smell. Do I presume that I'm just worrying about nothing?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 26/3/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
The banging upon acceleration is more likely caused by timing or distributor problems.
You should make sure your timing is OK before tackling the carbs.
IMHO.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by talltony
quote:

What does that mean

The girlfriend did comment on a slight wiff of petrol when I drove up in it. I checked everything I could think of, found no leakage or further smell. Do I presume that I'm just worrying about nothing?

well just as it sounds the fuel pump continues to pump fuel through the carbs so petrol gets everywhere, happened to my Allegro poo did it pong and when I looked on the road there was a trail of fuel behind the car. Could have been a Back to the Future spectacular

DarrenW

posted on 26/3/07 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
There are some good articles on here under the tech articles section.

http://www.redlineweber.com/

talltony

posted on 26/3/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well just as it sounds the fuel pump continues to pump fuel through the carbs so petrol gets everywhere, happened to my Allegro poo did it pong and when I looked on the road there was a trail of fuel behind the car. Could have been a Back to the Future spectacular

Lol, I think it is fair to say thats not the problem then!

I will look at the jets then, that article from the Tiger website looks spot on for at least improving things. Thanks cadebytiger.

I will also have a look at the timing again. I did change the belt not so long ago, maybe I didn't do as good a job as I thought I did. It seemed a bit easy to once I worked it out...

Thanks for your help everyone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.