Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Self dimming lights!
wyatt

posted on 3/4/07 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Self dimming lights!

I need help

I took my car on a bit of a run Liverpool to Lancaster and came back in the dark the problem is as I drove along the lights were on main beam and would go bright then dim all on there own and would stay dim then brighten up

Any Ideas!!!!!!

www.bynxy.co.uk

speedyxjs

posted on 3/4/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
What car is it?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Rek

posted on 3/4/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
is that bright and dim in relation to engine speed?
RazMan

posted on 3/4/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator belt loose?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fatgadget

posted on 3/4/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Id patent the concept if I were you!
wyatt

posted on 3/4/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
In responce to the above

1600 xflow westfield

it seemed to happen all the time flat out or slow!

www.bynxy.co.uk

iank

posted on 3/4/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
If there is no pattern it could be a bad earth that gets better or worse depending on vibration.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

whitestu

posted on 3/4/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Could be the voltage regulator on the alternator.

Were the dash lights going dim / bright as well?

Stu

britishtrident

posted on 3/4/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
The standard Xflo alternator is a Lucas ACR type which have old the standard 3 spade block connector, as these are carry a high current and are exposed to excessive vibration hence are very prone to arcing, which causes big problems for the alternators solid state voltage regulator.

Clean the spades (either remove the rear cover for acess or use a nail board) and also crimp the connectors slightly so they make better contact.

Apart from that as already suggested clean and check all main earth abd batter connections, and fan bely.

Also do quick check on the charging voltage on and off load at 2000 to 3000 rpm

[Edited on 3/4/07 by britishtrident]

russbost

posted on 3/4/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Second the above - I suspect when you remove the plug from the alternator it will be blackened & cooked - the reg might have survived but might not. if the plugs not cooked & the belts tight then sounds like a dodgy reg.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BenB

posted on 3/4/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem on a Xflow when I didn't use a nylock to "secure" the alternator (I used the stupid "self-gripping" flanged nut provided by Halfrauds).... Bag of pants.... Alternator ended up being attached by one bolt when the other one fell off..... Instant loss of belt tension and hence alternator drive....

Luckily a very friendly bloke drove past (this was in deepest darkest Northern Ireland), stopped and went 3 miles to have a rummage in his garage and found a motorbike head stud and four nuts to go with it which I was able to temporarily re-attach it until I got the local B+Q 25 miles away.... Top geezer!!!!

davrus

posted on 3/4/07 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
My guess, Bad earth

Check out my website http://www.thedave.co.uk/
Feel free to sign my guest book in the links page.

wyatt

posted on 4/4/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi whitestu yes the dash lights were doing the same dimming and then going bright!

Thanks to everyone for all your advice it looks like I know what I am doing this weekend

www.bynxy.co.uk

MikeRJ

posted on 4/4/07 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Had a Lucas alternator on a mini do exactly this, and the lights were getting very bright indeed. Turned out to be a dead voltage regulator, but was cheaper to get a recon alternator.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.