Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: type nine help?
RichieW

posted on 6/4/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
type nine help?

Has anyone got any practical advice or tips on how to remove the belhousing from a type nine gearbox? The gearbox still has the clutch arm and release bearing on the the shaft and I cant get at the last bellhousing bolt as its covered by the clutch arm.

I have the Haynes manual for the Sierra which tells me there are two spring clips which retain the release bearing and it admits they are awkward to get at. In real life this usually means the action is impossible. I cant feel anything to release when i get my fingers behind the clutch arm.

I really wanted to remove bell housing today to degrease and paint it but so far all I've managed is to remove three bolts. The webbing on the bellhousing prevents me from getting at the last bolt with ratcheting spanner with a pivoting head.

I 've already spent 40 quid at halfords for a set of fancy spanners today which turned out to be no help at all. Am very peed off right now.

Does anyone know of a particular type of spanner small enough to get at the final bolt? There must be one out there which will do the job? Its a 19 mill bolt.
Is there a knack to this or am I just being shite??? This must have been done millions of times over the years so I suspect its me....

grahamgg

posted on 6/4/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
you need to remove the release bearing and pivot arm first,,It is really fiddly but if you are going to replace bearing then the best way is to just prise it off with a big screwdriver through the hole in the side of bellhousing between pivot and bearing..

dont worry if you break the little spring retainers taking it off new release bearings dont cost much

[Edited on 6/4/07 by grahamgg]

RichieW

posted on 6/4/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. I had considered that option but was worried that I might do some damage to the box or shaft. I'll give it a go. Could be quite therapeutic. Hopefully only the bearing wil be shagged and not the arm..
RichieW

posted on 6/4/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Spot on advice thanks Graham. I finally found some use for my 36" wrecking bar that I'd bought from aldi for a bargain four quid a couple of months back

It made very light work of the job and the arm looks fine. The spring clips just flew off from the bearing. If I'd asked earlier I could have saved myself the cost of them fancy spanners but I'm sure I'll get some use out of them....

I guess I was being a bit of a fanny before but I try to be sympathetic to the mechanicals when I can.

Cheers

[Edited on 6/4/07 by RichieW]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.