Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting a (really cheap!) donor home?
mackie

posted on 25/7/03 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Getting a (really cheap!) donor home?

OK, myself and blueshift have won a Sierra 2.8 4x4 Estate on eBay for £6.50

We haven't seen it yet but apparently it runs so may be drivable but the body and sills are rotten.
What would you peeps say was the safest, most legal and cheapest way to get it the 30 miles home. Recovery truck is gonna be like £150 which is waaaay too much for a £6.50 car!

Someone close to my family actually owns a recovery company but it's based in Northumberland

Any help appreciated.

-Mackie

ned

posted on 25/7/03 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
i borrowed a car trailer from my local garage for £10 to get my sierra home...

mine drove, but didn't want to risk it, i had quite a long way to go...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 25/7/03 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
If it is driveable - get it insured, book an MOT at a station local to you who is friendly. Then drive the car to the test. This is legal - apparently all the police may do if you are stopped is to phone the test station to check you are pre-booked.

Of course if it is a friendly MOT station they will understand if you never turn up....

You used to be allowed to tow or drive a car to a scrap yard as its final journey. Don't know if this still applies and what the ruling is about your own home being a scrap yard.

Insurance is required, although it will almost certainly be invalid as you have no MOT, howeverprovided you have the certificate and don't crash this should be OK.

Good luck

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Simon

posted on 25/7/03 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mackie,

Your safest (and possibly cheapest option) is carry it home (trailer/transporter).

I'm guessing you know nothing about the car other than what you've read in the ebay post.

IIRC it's illegal to tow an unMOT'd car (incl susp tow) on HM's roads.

It's probably got no RFL and a fine from that could well outstrip cost of transporter (I was fined £150 16 years ago).

Also important things like brakes may not be in too good a nick.

I don't know how far you've got to go, but a tow off a motorway would cost a tidy packet - and that'll just get you off motorway - if you did conk out on a m/way mr plod would no doubt turn up within a couple of mins - which would make for some interesting explaining.

I'd play safe.

ATB

Simon

DaveFJ

posted on 25/7/03 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
If it will NOT run -

as long as you aren't going on any major roads - just tow it. chances are if the police did see you they wouldn't stop you

just make sure that brakes work and that your feeling up to heaving the steering wheel without the power assistance...

(only towed mine 10 miles but it took forever though!)

mackie

posted on 25/7/03 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
--snip--

I don't know how far you've got to go, but a tow off a motorway would cost a tidy packet - and that'll just get you off motorway - if you did conk out on a m/way mr plod would no doubt turn up within a couple of mins - which would make for some interesting explaining.

I'd play safe.

ATB

Simon

It's 30 miles and we can avoid motorway.
If it's drivable we may just do the MoT scam as described above, but I think the tax thing may still be an issue, but then again if you can drive and un-MoTed car to it's MoT and an un-MoTed car can't have tax then is it legal? maybe...

Otherwise I think a trailer is a good idea but neither of us have a towbar. Is it cheeky to ask someone nearby St Albans to possibly help us out?

blueshift

posted on 25/7/03 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think we should just drive it. I'm game.
escary

posted on 25/7/03 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
mot test presentation?

if you have insurance cover you can go the ball!
you are allowed to drive an un mot'd & untaxed car to the test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover and the car is not in a dangerous condition (this is a must, remember ignorance is no excuse especially if something serious was to happen and the Vehicle Inspectorate were called in to investigate, which almost always happens when they really want to throw the book at you!) alternatively if you know someone in the recovery trade can't you borrow their trade plates for a couple of hours again as long as it ain't buggered.

Hope i've helped

Regards
Ewan

P.S. you could always wait till it's dark ( with all the lights working ) then drive it with someone following behind, if the local plod come along get the person behind to do something really stupid as so to get pulled and off you go leaving the legal car and person with the coppers.

Honest i would never do that it just seems a little dishonest ( ha ha )

Peteff

posted on 25/7/03 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I asked the bloke I bought mine from to drive it to my place and gave him a lift back home, 20 miles each way. If he wants to get rid he might go for that, worth a try.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 25/7/03 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Now, don't quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that you were allowed to drive an un MOT'ed un Taxed car to the nearest place of repair. Now, if you were to pick it up on a Sunday, the nearest place of repair to you is going to be your house, where you deem it beyond economic repair, and tear it to pieces.

Kingr

RoadkillUK

posted on 25/7/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I drove my DONOR from Kent to Bradford, don't tell the plod but it was neither MOT'd Insured or Taxed. All I could think about on the way back was 'I hope nothing happens', it wasn't the best drive.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 26/7/03 at 04:49 AM Reply With Quote
I had my mate tow me back 10-15 miles
with a tow bar not rope
all was fine untill the ignition key fell out of the lock as somone had tried to break the lock off (not me), on the next bend I overtook the transit tow vehicle and broke the tow bar
after that i had to drive the thing home
no brakes, handbrake was ok ish, one hand holding the steering lock etc in place
batterie flat, engine only just running
i could only brake on straight roads. as my left hand was on the handbrake, right hand on the ignition and knees on the steering wheel

next time i will get the car delivered, it was not worth the hassle

if the car is road worthy i would drive it
mine was not!!!

JoelP

posted on 27/7/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, just drive it with a pal following. Always works.... do check brakes etc, cant be in good nick for 6.50...
paulbeyer

posted on 27/7/03 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a car with a towbar you could hire an A-Frame from your nearest HSS hire shop for £15 and tow it back on your own. I'm speaking from personal experience here, I drove from Bristol to Brighton to pick up a Corolla GTi on friday, 370 mile round trip and 9 hours but it towed like a dream.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

greggors84

posted on 27/7/03 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had to get my donor from watford, which is about 10 miles from me. It had a hole in the engine so wasnt driveable! It took ages to oragnise a trailer and a car with a towbar for the same day.

Get a solid towbar, about £10 - £15, and u can tow it with any car with a tow hook. Im sure the plod wont bother pulling u over to ask for tax/mot.

Im near you but dont have a trailer or towbar. Otherwise i would pick it up for u, sorry!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

mackie

posted on 28/7/03 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for your advice. It'll be this weekend at the earliest when we go and get it. I'll let you all know how it went.
We *think* it may be driveable, it does run but brakes will most certainly have to be checked.

On another note, I just saved myself nearly £700 on my car insurance by switching to elephant!

JoelP

posted on 28/7/03 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
well i just got lashed on mine, 840 3rd party on a seicento...

oh for a clean licence...

mackie

posted on 28/7/03 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
well i just got lashed on mine, 840 3rd party on a seicento...

oh for a clean licence...

Ouch, that's pretty harsh. I'm paying similar but on a proper car fully comp with breakdown cover etc. I'm guessing you must be pretty young.. I have no no claims unfortunately but i'm nearly 24 and only 3 points.

ned

posted on 28/7/03 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
mackie, i went to tesco's from coop and saved £650!

that was a year and a bit ago, i now pay £850 with my girlfriend as named driver fully comp on r plate 306 turbo diesel. I'm 22 with 2 claims 2 and a bit years ago...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

geoff shep

posted on 28/7/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
While you can legally drive it as mentioned above, you need to be sure it's not a death trap. I bought my sierra donor from a backstreet garage. It had steel bracing showing through the treads but the engine ran - he said he could get it MOT'd for me. I decided to collect it on a trailer. Subsequently, it ran out of petrol between the trailer and my driveway, one of the inner end TCA bolts was sheared with only half a bolt in the hole and when I dismantled the dashboard I found a big weld - it was a mostly blue car with the front right quarter of a brown car welded in.

I made the right choice to trailer it.

Trailers seem to be hard to find in some areas but I would have thought you could get one for about £30 for the day - it might save you a lot of regets later.

mranlet

posted on 28/7/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if there's a UK equivalent to AAA, or what the rules are there, but I know of a bunch of ways, most from experience...

Go and pick it up with your buddy, and drive/push/tow it out to the first somewhat main road. Then, call AAA or roadside service and tell them that you've broken down and need to be towed. AAA members pay to have what is essentially break-down-insurance, at little or no cost to you regardless of what vehicle you're driving. Most likely, the tow driver will not care where he taking you as long as he is getting paid (especially if it's Sunday). So, just have him take you to your house and you'll be all set. A friend of mine is a tow truck driver and has run into this twice, so he says.

Also, if the car is not driveable, you may be able to rent a flatbed pickup from the local hardware store (Home Depot in the US has ones with winches for $19/hour and free gas) and you could use the winch and some heavy chain to tie the car to the rear end of the truck to tow it home. Take caution with police, and have your buddy be the lookout - if a police car comes on to the road, quickly pull off and lose him

Find an ad for a tow truck that is for sale, contact the owner and tell him that you want to try the truck out before you buy it. Go to the guy's house and be really nice to him and then go to the site of the donor car (if he will let you go with your car as colateral, all the better). Use the truck to tow the car to your house and fill up his fuel tank and maybe even give him a bit of money on the side for his generosity, but make sure to seem really interested in the truck. (my friend's dad did this to tow home a Dodge Diesel)

If all else fails, tow the donor with your own car, some heavy chain, and layers of moving pads duct-tapped to the front of the donor car. Have your buddy (or the braver one) ride in the donor and steer it so that turns are posssible, and brake or E-brake it when coming to stops. This is one where back roads should be used exclusively. (I did this with my brother during his moving day when his Buick died)

If you stop by a breaker's yard, you can cut a piece of truck frame or driveshaft (hopefully with universal joints) out of a junker for next to nothing, and make your own tow bar.

All in all, if you are honest and respectful to the police (and don't drive like an A-hole) they will be lenient.

Keep in mind that where there's a will, there's a way: One of my best friends towed a 5000lb (2300KG) vintage 1960's pickup truck from Connecticut to Florida - 2000 Miles - with his MOTORCYCLE without ever getting pulled over...
Be sure to bring a camera for the memories, and to plan your return trip to be more downhill than up!
Good luck
-MR

[Edited on 28/7/03 by mranlet]

paulbeyer

posted on 28/7/03 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Only in America.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

mranlet

posted on 28/7/03 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Rolling on the floor laughing

...it's so true!!!!

JoelP

posted on 28/7/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Getting back to the insurance again, im 23 with a years no claims but before that 4 convictions, 6 points a ban and a retest. Plus getting sued by a gloit on a bike.
I got quoted 3500 to renew a trade policy...

ChrisW

posted on 28/7/03 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Getting back to trailers....

There's a trailer hire place in Park Street (just south of St Albans) which I've used a few times. Look up Watling Engineers in the phone book. They have a huge flat bed trailer for £50/day. You'll need a decent sized car to pull it tho.

Other option - I have a towing dolly you can use to pull it but, being 4WD, you'll have to disconnect the prop shaft first. I'm about 20 miles from St Albans.

Chris

My gaff my rules

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.