Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Charitable trust Trustees???
DarrenW

posted on 11/4/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Charitable trust Trustees???

This may be a long shot but i thought id test the scope of people on here.

I have just been asked if id like to become a trustee of a new Charity. It is a charity that is very much into environmental issues and is starting to engage in projects in Africa. It is something i have been aware of for some time and i find extremely interesting and exciting.

My main question is what does it mean to be a trustee and does anyone know of any legal liabilities etc. Whilst i have no issue assisting them from an Engineering and program management point of view (ie as a hobby) what i dont want to be involved in is the business side and any potential liabilities. Maybe im getting confused with becoming a Director.

Is anyone on here already a trustee of a Charity? How does it work?

Cheers,
Darren.

If you prefer i have U2U, MSN and email contact details listed.

iank

posted on 11/4/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Not one myself, but this is what HM govt has to say on the matter
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publications/cc3.asp

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/4/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Haven’t a clue but unless it's a registered well known one I wouldn't touch it. There's so much corruption going on in Africa with drug and arms I'd be worried if it wasn't just a cover for some dodgey dealings and if so you could end up in the sh!t, big style. Don’t let your enthusiasm blind you.

[Edited on 11/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sporty

posted on 11/4/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
My wife was the trustee of a childrens nursery but gave it up when we found out what the liabilities were.

It seems you take on financial and legal liability just like a director.

You may be keen but are you keen enough to lose your house if the charity hits financial difficulties.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/4/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
or gets done for smuggling 5 tons of cannabis!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 11/4/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Iam confident that the charity will be well run but as with most things you have to be comfortable with your own liabilities. I have speed read that site. It basically says that as long as the guidlines of the governing boby are met then liabilities will be limited if none existent.

Its interesting what you say ref Africa and i have the same thoughts to a lesser degree. The Charity will in essence be quite small and is new so no bad practices should be in place currently. Where i would have an issue is if we shipped over a container for something and (eg) some port officials decided they wanted a back hander to clear the goods and allow them into the country. If such payment was deemed to be outside of the rules then i would hate to be liable for the resultant shortfall on the companies accounts. These types of things wouldnt be known until after the event.
I wonder how Charities like OXFAM get round this?

I dont believe any Charity would set itself up to be involved in any wrong doing but as said in an interesting way sometimes others are out for personal gain.

mookaloid

posted on 11/4/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I would avoid it personally.

if things were to go wrong with the finances of the charity then providing you have no knowledge of any wrongdoing you should be in the clear - however do you need the hassle of having to deal with that stuff?

I would say do your thing and be happy

On the other hand if you want more of a say in the way it is run then by all means become a trustee - but be very sure of the other trustees, the finances etc etc in much the same way as you would with becoming a director of an existing company.

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

DarrenW

posted on 11/4/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just had a mini meeting and it has been advised that all trustees are covered by indemnity insurance to protect them from any legal / financial liabilities.

From a charitable point of view im all for it but at least i have my eyes open to the potential problems and therefore can cover that with them first. At the end of the day if i suspect wrong doing that im not comfortable with i can resign the post as well knowing that the insurance has covered the liability.

Interesting times. Happy days!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.