Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade clutch plates needed
ReMan

posted on 11/4/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade clutch plates needed

Any good experieces of getting these?
Price? Service?
Also anybody used upgraded kevlar plates for road use? Any better, worse, less control? more grabby?

matthewdrummer

posted on 11/4/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
we got new clutch plates, ebc kevlar ones. forgot whick ones they were. it works anyway
gingerprince

posted on 11/4/07 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
The OEM ones are apparently the best, together with uprated springs (the recommended spring part is actually an uprated blackbird part, so even stronger than uprated blade) for a BEC.

I bought barnett plates and the barnet 'bird springs when mine was slipping, replaced the springs and it's been fine for >2000 miles so far on the original plates. i've got the barnet plates too (which are apparently better than ebc but worse than oem) as spares when I toast my existing ones.

Hellfire

posted on 11/4/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently the Kevlar ones are snatchy and not suitable for BEC applications... not a personal experience but passed on from a few LB members.

Steve

mad-butcher

posted on 11/4/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Be carefull with uprated springs my brother in law's shop was closed due to him having a weeks practice in france setting up his racing outfit for the coming season (£300 for a weeks unlimited track use 9 to 5 and £50 if you want a garage) so I had to go to a so called Honda dealer
Sorry wandered off track then there are three different sizes of clutch spring.
UK N to S 45.5mm
UK T to V 50.2mm
UK W to X 48.8mm
the difference if you're using a 95 blade is enough to lock the clutch solid.
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jubal

posted on 11/4/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the full barnett package fitted in my 98 engine. Uprated spring, steels and kevlar friction plates. Running Castrol GPS oil it has been faultless since done. The car has done mainly track miles but I've not noticed any "grabbyness" compared to the stock clutch it had.
ReMan

posted on 11/4/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, for confirmation and inspiration as usual
I've had HD springs in it all alaong, will strip it thursday night and provided it is "just the plates" I'll get some ordered
Cheers

ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/4/07 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
From personal experience the EBC Kevlar are certainly more grabby than OEM plates so if the price isn't much different Id certainly go for the latter.

For springs, the ones I was supplied by PDQ for a 99 engine were the Barnett MT-99-5 which as mentioned above are listed as an uprated Blackbird fitment, they also worked fine in the 97 engine I had after that but not sure on early engines.

gingerprince

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
For springs, the ones I was supplied by PDQ for a 99 engine were the Barnett MT-99-5 which as mentioned above are listed as an uprated Blackbird fitment, they also worked fine in the 97 engine I had after that but not sure on early engines.

I have the same springs in mine (893cc so pre-'95) and they are fine. I know the plates configuration is different across the different 'blades (e.g.different number of plates, last one different size etc) so perhaps this caters for the differing clutch sizes?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.