Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vauxhall omega as donor car
b184

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
vauxhall omega as donor car

Hello to all, I am new to the site and have been looking at it for the past few weeks.

how about an omega as a donor vehicle?

There is a fair range of engins and they are all rear wheel drive?
taking in to account sierras will soon be getting hard to find, how about these?

the 2.0 16v made up to 2000
the 2.5 v6 made up to 2000
and 2.6 & 3.2 made up to 2003
ok the last ones will be a bit pricy now but possibly ok for the future?

ps cant find spell checker button please help

jacko

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhalls are good cars the omega has the rear wheel drive but i don't know about the rear axle .
spell checker on google is at the top of the page [ abc check ]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cossiebri

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
If the 2.0 16v is the 'red top' xe lump,
You will be very pleased. A mate has just converted his locost from x-flow to xe, the car has twice the power,its fast as f*&k!!

Oh & it's about the same weight

[Edited on 13/4/07 by cossiebri]

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

b184

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
omegas have as you probably know irs.
I dont suppose it would be too hard to make a type of de dion rear axle to accomodate.
If this was to be your donor car you could possibly have ABS if you retained the front hubs with modified upper wishbones?
ABS would then possibly improve braking and do away problems like front to rear brake balance, rear disks or drums? and vented or non vented front disks?
or am I talking crap? and making things too complex???

b184

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
red top

you could always shoe-horn a 2.0 turbo in there? 204bhp OMG
b184

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
red top

oops forgot to say the 2.0 turbo from a calibra if it would match the gearbox
MkIndy7

posted on 14/4/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Any Omega after 1992 I'm guessing would be the Ecotec engine and not the XE for them to have met the Emissions standard

[Edited on 14/4/07 by MkIndy7]

chrisg

posted on 14/4/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b184
Hello to all, I am new to the site and have been looking at it for the past few weeks.

how about an omega as a donor vehicle?

There is a fair range of engins and they are all rear wheel drive?
taking in to account sierras will soon be getting hard to find, how about these?
the 2.0 16v made up to 2000
the 2.5 v6 made up to 2000
and 2.6 & 3.2 made up to 2003
ok the last ones will be a bit pricy now but possibly ok for the future?

ps cant find spell checker button please help

There are over 75,000 Sierras taxed and in use in the uk, you only need one!

The Omega can be a very good donor for a Haynes roadster, modifications would be required to the front suspension as the steering rack is on the rear of the upright, of course you could use a Sierra upright instead.

The rear hub of the Omega is part of the rear trailing arm, not a seperate unit as on the Sierra. You would need to make a hub carrier to bolt to the fabricated upright.

As part of the development of the Haynes Roadster I would be happy to help anyone wherever I could if they decide to use this donor.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ashtal

posted on 16/4/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to use a 1995 mv6 omega as my donor. Going to try to use all the uprights from the front and just fit omega w/bearings in purpose build rear uprights.

plus the cop car models have manuel box's and a lsd ! plus 210 bhp from 3.0 24v v6

stevebubs

posted on 16/4/07 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashtal
Im going to use a 1995 mv6 omega as my donor. Going to try to use all the uprights from the front and just fit omega w/bearings in purpose build rear uprights.

plus the cop car models have manuel box's and a lsd ! plus 210 bhp from 3.0 24v v6

There's gotta be more to be had from this engine.

The Vectra GSi 2.5 comes in around mid-190s instead of the paltry mid-160s in Omega form.

chrisg

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The problem with the front uprights, as I said is that the rack is behind the upright i.e. the steering rack wants to be where the crankcase is. It might be possible to switch the uprights side-for-side to get the steering arms on the right side but of course this would mean that the rack would steer in the opposite direction - ok for clowns but not too good on the road. You could probably make a Ford rack work.

Careful measurement would need to be done regarding the castor angles obviously switching the uprights round would reverse the castor.

In the end you're trying to reinvent the wheel, maybe look for a different upright, VW Golf is one contender as is the Sierra.

Good luck!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ashtal

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

There's gotta be more to be had from this engine.

The Vectra GSi 2.5 comes in around mid-190s instead of the paltry mid-160s in Omega form.

With some choice mods the mv6 lump will hit 260 - 270 bhp on standard internals. Was thinking about some nitrous too

ashtal

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
quote:

The problem with the front uprights, as I said is that the rack is behind the upright i.e. the steering rack wants to be where the crankcase is. It might be possible to switch the uprights side-for-side to get the steering arms on the right side but of course this would mean that the rack would steer in the opposite direction - ok for clowns but not too good on the road. You could probably make a Ford rack work.

Careful measurement would need to be done regarding the castor angles obviously switching the uprights round would reverse the castor.

In the end you're trying to reinvent the wheel, maybe look for a different upright, VW Golf is one contender as is the Sierra.

Good luck!

Cheers

Chris

Had some ideas to the fronts. As you say, swap the uprights round. was going to deal with the rack/box when got to it, but had some ideas ! I want to use as much of the omega as possible, Try to make a complete car from no ford parts, just to prove the omega is a viable donor.

NS Dev

posted on 25/4/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b184
you could always shoe-horn a 2.0 turbo in there? 204bhp OMG

err a bit more than that I think with some smalll tweaks!!!

My normally aspirated XE makes 204hp on throttle bodies, and thats a stock engine!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Liam

posted on 25/4/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
With a short V6 there ought to be loads of room infront for rear steer uprights. Have a look in my photo archive for the kind of clearance you can get infront of a V6 (though mine is shoehorned as far back as possible).

The main problem with using the omega bits is that rather than a rack and pinion it has a steering box system with various idler arms and pivots. You'd want to get a rear steer non-power rack from something else. Old mini may be ideal from a bump-steer point of view...

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.