Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trackday question....
MOz

posted on 16/4/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Trackday question....

Excuse the nievity but I had to ask.

I was close to killed in a bike accident last year when some complete w4nker riding way beyond his limits took me out at the fastest corner at Anglesey circuit, leaving me with a severe Richard Hammond'esque type head injury as well as a massive skin graft required for my leg and a severely mangled broken thumb.

Despite this, the missus has cleared me to track the Indy and I wanna do it to learn more about the car in a controlled environment.

What car trackday companies are best, who operate the most sensible overtaking policies and what are they as I have no idea.

Want to avoid the chav with the £200 knackered GTI who don't give a shite about anyone or anything taking me out. Been there already and only just survived.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MOz

ned

posted on 16/4/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Join lotus-on-track and go on some of their days. They are the best run I have been to. Very good behaviour and as most cars are worth a few bob no one wants to bend them. They still drive them hard but with good track manners. A nice bunch and not snobby either. Also generally better value than some other organisers imho.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 16/4/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with ya there MOz as I was also on the brink when a chav in a blinged up 206gti overtook the car in front of him with me coming the other way.

I remember the 'Oh f*ck' moment then it was lights out. I didn't 'feel' the impact! For me that was just like dieing as if I'd not woken up 30mins later it was curtains.

HWITNNO banned the bikes and doesn't like the MNR either but she's of the opinion it will never get finished so I'm safe

Steve

[Edited on 16/4/07 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mookaloid

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have been on a couple of trackdays with http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/ and one organised by the NE7ERS - both were really great and I never felt anyone was in danger of hitting me.

The marshalls and the briefings were very good and was made very clear what was acceptable and what wasn't.

HTH

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

fesycresy

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Click Me

Interesting to see that you get free tuition on your first track day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

worX

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there MOz,

take a look here on the this recent thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=63840
I have just booked on for a morning, and even though I cannot vouch for the company as I have only ever done trackdays on bike (v. bad crash myself 2 years ago!), I for one am not going to be risking my pride and joy that I have only just completed. That doesn't mean to say that I will be driving miss daisy round the track (actually Mrs Worx will be in their with me!!!), but I'd like to think that I was going to treat it like a trackday, rather than pretend to be Damon Hill et al

I would also like to think that the other guys that are (already) booked on are a pretty decent bunch of blokes aswell, and since it is a 60 place maximum, that could also may cut down on the idiot factor!

hth
Steve.

x_flow57

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I've done trackdays with Javelin and Gold Track.

Both opperate a very rigid overtaking policy.

You overtake to the left and only on the straights, only with the co-operation of the driver in front and once the front car is in HIS braking area you have to stay behind untill the straight. If a car is slower over the course of a lap regardless of their straight line speed they have to let you past during the next lap.
It's fun having 911s, Elises, Cateringvans etc pull over on the straight to let a 1300 (105mph) locost past

All in all great fun and very safe.

Nick

TimC

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the Trackday companies do a fine job.. In my experience 'club' days are the worst run.

You don't say where you are - In terms of learning the limits of the car/yourself I'd look to do an airfield day first. Most have huge run-offs where the worst thing you'll hit is a cone or two.

TC

OX

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
track action and circuit days have the same policy as xflow57 has mentioned

smart51

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/oulton-park/trackdays/event-details.asp?ProductID=3290

Oulton park host their own track days. The link above is to one of their novice only days. They do mornong only, afternoon only or all day.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.