Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cyle wing stays
twybrow

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cyle wing stays

I know there has been a lot of discussion over the years on how crap most cycle wing stays are from the manufacturers... Question is, are they all still like that, or have they improved? In a nutshell, who makes the best cycle wing supports (for Cortina uprights)?
NS Dev

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
The only ones I have seen that were any good in my opinion are MNR's, but these are for their very long cycle wings and didn't really fit round my calipers either (though I think they have modded them now)

I ended up making my own, nothing else was good enough, mine are one piece from the plate that is bolted to the upright all the way to the very end of the stay, so no breaky points on them.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Humbug

posted on 16/4/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had the original-style ones (triangle + tube + flat) on my ST and they kept breaking. Eventually made my own out of 1.25" x 0.25" flat bright bar, bolted through the original triangle into the 3 dust cover holes with spacers. Since I did that, I've had no problems with wobbling or breakages.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=55793

Hellfire

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ours are from MK Sportscars - they have had a few bumps and knocks and are fine... strong and rigid... still!

They fit conventional front arches.

Steve

Surrey Dave

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
7 yrs not broke.......yet!

Rescued attachment wingstays2.jpg
Rescued attachment wingstays2.jpg

twybrow

posted on 16/4/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
So the concensus so far would be make your own.... So why cant the manufacturers get it right if you lot can!?
NS Dev

posted on 16/4/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Prob worth a look at some MK ones, Hellfire's car gets used a fair bit so if they haven't broken they prob wont.

The reason that most of the proprietary ones are crap is that they are not easy to make in a half decent way, cheaply.

I used 11/16" OD 1/8" wall CDS for mine, that's not cheap for a start, then you have to bend it, possibly in several places depending on brakes etc, then with us lot fitting all manner of different parts, there's not really a std design that will clear everything.

Surrey dave's look good, mine are similar except that the tube is bent at the top and goes under the arch right to the other side, then has flat strip welded to it, drilled and tapped for the button head bolts that hold the wings on.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

cossiebri

posted on 16/4/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I second mnr's,I got some well finished/made.
I got them off their new website locostparts.net. Easy to 'modify' as well

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

andrew.carwithen

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cossiebri
I second mnr's,I got some well finished/made.
I got them off their new website locostparts.net. Easy to 'modify' as well

Looked on that site.
Listed at £39.00
Is that each or for a pair? (Doesn't stipulate.)

twybrow

posted on 17/4/07 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone got a picture of the MNR ones (locostparts.net)? Nothing on the website...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.