Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My Rod End is too floppy
RazMan

posted on 18/4/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
My Rod End is too floppy

Is there such a thing as a rod end with a very stiff action? I'm thinking about using one for an adjustable mirror so it needs to be either lockable or have a very stiff action. The standard one is too floppy.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 18/4/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not that it helps, but I once made the mistake of trying to secure a spherical bearing housing (not a rod end) into a mounting with bearing fit locktite. One drop on the ball surface and it locked solid!

How about a snoop round a camera shop to see what they do with tripods and similar camera mounts?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 18/4/07 by Fred W B]

ayoungman

posted on 18/4/07 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Razman, very nice to speak to you at Detling. Liked the car as well, good to see it in the flesh. I bought a rod end from a motor sport supplier a couple of years ago. It was a very tight fit, not at all sloppy. I think it has something to do with the type of seals/construction used. I think Burtons catalogue give these details. I do know that the rod end cost £20, so was quite high specification.
HTH
cheers from Alan

"just like that !"

RazMan

posted on 18/4/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Fred, I actually considered this myself but thought that it would just make the rod end unpredictable. My other (less sophisticated) idea was to hit it with a hammer to deform it enough to create a stiff movement.

ayoungman, £20! Nice to meet you too

[Edited on 18-4-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

12a RX-7

posted on 18/4/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
if it's a carbon steel one you could try drilling and tapping it for a locking bolt ? or if it's a small rod end squashing it a little in big vice might tweak it enough to grip the centre ?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.