Author: Subject: LSD
paulmw

posted on 19/4/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
LSD

Ive order the donor pack from MK with the standard diff however:

1) Should I go for a limited diff? I am going to use it mainly on the roads

2) How much more expensive is an standard LSD

3) Is it an easy mod

The Haynes kit car maunal says not to bother with an LSD unless its a track car??

smart51

posted on 19/4/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
The sierra LSD is built into the same shell as the open diff so it is no harder to fit to the car than the open diff. You can only have an LSD with the bolt on type half shafts rather than the push in shafts. It is not a problem but is about 10kg heavier, I'm told.

I have an LSD and I'm quite happy with it. Having never driven a similar car with an open diff, I can't say which is better.

graememk

posted on 19/4/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
i have lsd but its only because thats what i could lay my hands on when i was looking.
i have driven my uncles westi and theres not much in it to be honest

gingerprince

posted on 19/4/07 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the sierra lsd too "heavy" for a seven, in the sense that it needs the force of a sierra to make it slip, so it tends to go straight - inducing understeer and needing a good ol' heave-ho to turn in?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i could probably have worded that better

worX

posted on 19/4/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think RGB Race with NON LSD's but only in the Blade cars (could be very wrong on that!), but since I Built a Blade car also - I figured I would save the 10kilos and not bother! (I think the 10k saving is from diff and shafts together)

Have you started your kit already Paul? and whereabouts in Knutsford are you?

cheers and hth,
Steve.

paulmw

posted on 19/4/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not started the build yet. I am supposed to pick up the donor kit this week and asked for an LSD. The guys at MK said that they were hard to find so I wanted to know if they are worth it.

Steve : are you local to Knutsford then?

worX

posted on 19/4/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm only in Middlewich Paul and I've just finished so you can have a good look over the car if you are interested?
I could nip over to Knutsford and take you for a spin in my NON lsd if you like?

Steve.

Bob C

posted on 19/4/07 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tell you what Paul - he's not as local as I am.....
Pop round for a decko at mine if you want - it's a proper locost, not a kit . . ;^)
Bob

RichieC

posted on 19/4/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Heres my two pence worth..........

IMHO an LSD isnt a necessity in a seven, but it makes for good fun ar5ing about drawing elevens and the like. Expect to pay more for an LSD second hand as the 3.62 (LSD) was fitted to the XR4X4 and the Cossie, so it can therefore attract "cossie tax".

The diff itself is heavier than an open diff but the major weight difference is in the shafts as they are bolt on Lobro joints on the LSD as opposed to push in on the open diff.

However, you can be cunning like me and fit regular push in shafts to the LSD just by removing the push in joint and fitting new Lobros at the diff end. I have written a couple of threads about this as there are slight anomolies with splines from model to model which may scupper that plan.

The great bonus for me in doing this was it enabled me to fit drums which are perfectly good enough for a 7 and also (very slightly) lighter than the rear disc setup. (I do however dislike the look of drums)

As for how well it works in a light car, its not a genuine slipper as youd find in a "proper" LSD, its a sealed viscous unit. Some have said it can hook up quickly and cause problems but Ive yet to find any proof of that. Being viscous by nature, it should be progressive and in my experience is just that.
If I was building a track car to be as light as pos, Id use an open diff, but for the extra weight, offset by swapping shafts, it wasnt worth it for me.

Rgds

Richie

[Edited on 19/4/07 by RichieC]

phil_far

posted on 19/4/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Weights are as follows:

Standard Sierra 1.6 Diff - 18.5Kg
Standard Sierra 2.0 Diff - 20.5Kg
LSD Diff (Lobro type) - 24.5Kg

Half SHafts:
Standrad Sierra 1.6 (Push type) - 8Kg/Shaft
Standard Sierra 2.0 (Push Type) - 10Kg/shaft
LSD Shafts - didn't weigh them but I expect around 12Kg/shaft

These were all done on my bathroom scales but should give an indication. Total weight saving from te 1.6 to the LSD is around 14Kg.

Philip

Jubal

posted on 19/4/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
Tell you what Paul - he's not as local as I am.....
Pop round for a decko at mine if you want - it's a proper locost, not a kit . . ;^)
Bob

Hehe, 3 of us in Knutsford?! And Steve just up the road too.

My Indy has an LSD, fitted last year. I drove it on track before and after and there's nothing in it for turn in. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference in a blade car but it's good for 1st/2nd gear playing and if I ever get round to installing more ponies no doubt I'll be glad of it to help get the power down.

worX

posted on 19/4/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
we'll have to meet up soon enough!

thats when I've fixed my car after all the things that've just happened to it on the ride out tonight!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.