Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you help? cheap steel needed
andyjack

posted on 2/8/03 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Can you help? cheap steel needed

Hi this is realy aimed at Lowcost builders in the north of the country by its nature realy. I live nr Oldham Lanc's I was just wondering if any members know a cheap source of steel tube, sheet, RHS etc. I will be building my Lowcost on a very tight budget so the cheaper the better, a freindly engineering company with a skip to plunder would be ideal. Failing that does anyone know of a merchant that recieves and in turn sells off cuts? I am prepared to travel a fair distance to get a good deal as my motor is very cheap to run lets say within a 50 mile radius of Oldham.
I have my build board all marked out and to be honest I am chomping at the bit to get going.

JoelP

posted on 3/8/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
yellow pages is probs your best bet, people talk about cheap off-cuts but you need a fair length all in. off cuts of plates are easy enough, but so far ive done in 100 feet of 1"RHS, admittedly not following the book.

John Stansfeld in Leeds do 60ft for 20 quid, which seems reasonable. Can get them to cut it to 10ft lengths, im sure any local steel stockholder will do the same.

it gets the ball rolling at least!

ATB...

andyjack

posted on 3/8/03 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Steel

Thanks for that, to be honest I was expecting the steel to cost more than that from a suppliers. I have read some build diarys that have quoted over £100 for the chassis steel. If I can get RHS at that price new I wont even bother to look any further.
splitrivet

posted on 4/8/03 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
The steel is perhaps the cheapest part of the build 2x 6mtr lengths of 1 inch RHS,1x legths of 3/4,a length of 1 inch 1/8 flat, a length of 2 inch flat,a length of 1 inch round 14s cost me less than £20 last week.
The bastard is getting it home.
Look up Steel stockholders in the Yellow pages if they offer you ERW its the same thing.
Cheers,
Bob

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/8/03 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
i bought 2 batches of rhs and the price varied widely.

I got about 50 metres for 60 quid and a further 12 for about 20 from a different supplier! My cars not std - thats why I needed much mor ethan 'book'.

Steel sheet for floor and bulkhead will cost about 35 quid a 1.2m by 2.4m sheet and you need more than one.

Alu panels for body are about 45 quid, and you need between 3 and 4.

The RHS is one of the lowest cost items!

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 4/8/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
i got 2x1mtr 16g steel for 12 quid! is this the right stuff for the floor? actually 6 for £80...
Peteff

posted on 4/8/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I got a 8'x4' sheet of 16g for under £20 and it did the floor easily in one piece. 2mX1m will do it in 2 sections and you could leave the prop tunnel open underneath with some cross bars to strengthen it.

yours, Pete.

[Edited on 4/8/03 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan B

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
..... if they offer you ERW its the same thing.
Cheers,
Bob

Yes, because 1" 16g RHS DOES NOT F*****G EXIST..but, if it did, it would be SHS............ERW square tubing is exactly what you want....

Not getting at you Bob, just a pet rant of mine....

There, I feel better now...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Metal Hippy

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
OOoooo get you

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

splitrivet

posted on 5/8/03 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
errrrrrr calm down calm down

Bob

Alan B

posted on 5/8/03 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
yeah...I'm better now....

As I say it's not you at all Bob...I need stronger medication....

Perhaps a new "pet peeves" thread...?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.