Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 05 r1 airbox
Steve (dug) Richards

posted on 28/4/07 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
05 r1 airbox

Hi guys can anyone tell me or show me some pics of there airbox whether they have mamaged to use the bike box or had to go for something else as there doesnt seem to be enough room for a pannel filter between the throttle bodies and fuel rail.I would prefer to use the standard box but simpley turning it around wont work as it would require some butchering.
smart51

posted on 28/4/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help you with the 05 box but I know that the 98 airbox is way too tall to fit under a bonnet. I made my own. See my photo archive. With a bigger internal volume and a bigger inlet, it restricts airflow better than standard too.
jos

posted on 28/4/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dug

Dunno whether you know but Colin (locoboy on here) and MartinDB have both got R1 powered kits so may be helful during your build & there are a couple of kitcars in oswestry that i know of 1 being mr loo & the other being james rae

Theres also plenty of us dotted around the county and some of the guys regularly meet up on thursday evenings i'll dig out the link now for you

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

bodger

posted on 28/4/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
MK's R1 has the airbox turned around, why is it such a problem? I know the inlet holes don't line up exactly bu there not that far off.
zxrlocost

posted on 29/4/07 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
hi turning it around does work and then fits under the indy bonnet

well it does on the carb engine dont think it will be that different

you have to do a little butchering but nothing major

if its still the same the 3 holes are symetrical but then the last hole has a bigger gap inbetween holes

you put the airbox in half and away you go make a template etc

if you bring it over to my house in cannock I will do it for you

u2u me

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/4/07 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think the 02-03 injected engine can be turned around as it IIRC when I eyed it up on mine, you'd need to cut the back plate out and re-mount it into the airbox the other way around for it to hope to fit. The throttle bodies are at a different angle to the carbs on earlier engines, and the 05 engine is completely different being a more canted over engine, so not its going to be comparable to the ealier engines.

[Edited on 29/4/07 by ChrisGamlin]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/4/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yep you're right, I had another look today and it does look like the airbox can just be reversed as everything is spaced OK and there's sufficient clearance. Not sure where I got the idea that it needed chopping, maybe from the fact you did need to chop the earlier ones!

Even reversed though it sits significantly above the TBs, so you'd need a big bonnet bulge to clear it, too big for a book locost with shallower chassis / bodywork than an Indy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.