Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New brake discs problem
Leon B

posted on 28/4/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
New brake discs problem

I've recently fitted Hi Spec Ultralite 4 calipers along with some lightened and grooved discs.

From the first moment I depressed the brake pedal I had vibration through the steering and car, the cycle wings are seriously shaking.

I was told by the guy I bought them off that this is normal and it takes 100 miles or so to run them in. 200 miles later im still getting vibration. I've had grooved discs on another car before so I know what to expect in terms of feel and this is not right.

The wheel hubs were thoroughly cleaned before I fitted the discs so Im sure the setup is all true.

I'm convinced the discs are warped, what do you reckon?

I'm gonna try and get hold of a run out gauge to determine this for sure.

Cheers

Mal

posted on 28/4/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Disc Run-out

If your dial indicator records a significant run-out, it may be the disc itself, but it is also worth removing the disc from the hub
and examining the contact faces for high spots and also checking the disc clamping face of the hub for run-out. Also any excess clearance it the wheel bearing adjustment will not help.

HTH
Mal

Mal

posted on 28/4/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Another Thought

A check you could do on the disc, if you have the dial indicator mounted off a magnetic base, or similar lump of steel, is to slide the block around the disc face with the dial stylus on the hub clamping face and look for any deflection of the needle. This will give an indication which is independent of the hub.
Also check that the 2 disc faces are parallel to each other.

Mal

Ketchup

posted on 28/4/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like warped discs, have you double checked they are fitted to the correct sides as grooved discs will have a direction of rotation
chockymonster

posted on 29/4/07 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
I've been where you are right now.
brand new discs and calipers, run out checked within tolerances on the hub facing and monster vibration through the car.
I got the discs examined by an engineering firm and they consigned them to the bin, they were so out of true it wasn't funny. I've never bought anything from HS again, their customer service sucks and they just didn't want to help.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 29/4/07 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
if you search the forum for 'hi spec' it seems nearly every mention is a bad one

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=49041;st=15

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~richw426/brakes/brakes.htm

[Edited on 29/4/07 by JoelP]

Leon B

posted on 29/4/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments guys, I actually bought the kit off another member, im well impressed with the hi spec calipers, the discs were machined by a chap in the club but no one else seems to have a problem with them.... just my luck!

Never had this problem with my old discs so I'm convinced the hubs are perfect still and the discs at fault.

Only the gauge will tell the truth I guess.

Leon B

posted on 9/5/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well i didnt manage to get hold of a dial guage, even though I had one in my hand at stoneleigh!!

Ended up fitting a set of new standard discs, vibration has gone away and I can finally get some decent braking in.

Anyone fancy a pair of strange front discs?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.