Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: stiff sierra quick rack
Dillinger1977

posted on 29/4/07 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
stiff sierra quick rack

howdy all.
When driving to the emission test yesterday I noticed that there was no self-centering at all.

looking at the previous posts regarding this on a vortx I think its due to the stiffness of the new quick rack.
I pulled it all to bits and the rack itsself, with nothing attached, was very stiff.

I've stripped it this morning and regreased everything, but when assembled its still remarkably stiff.

anything I can do? Obviously it wont ever pass an SVA in its current state.

i seem to have mislaid my haynes manual, but it looks like its possible to slacken off one of plastic collars -one seems to be sring loaded.. anyone know where I can buy/borrow the correct tool for that. (looks like i need a protruding hexagonal shape)

-Rog

chockymonster

posted on 29/4/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
The plastic bit that screws into the rack body just above the pinion is a tensioner.
Mine is just under flush and it's just about perfect weight wise

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 29/4/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, I borrowed a tool from scoey m

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieC

posted on 29/4/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rog,

Mine is exactly the same,no sniff of self centring.

I was rather hoping it was all going to settle in prior to SVA but its looking increasingly unlikely.

be interested to hear if you get it sorted because mine like yours wont pass.
Sounds like youre getting just about there.

Rgds

Rich

Dillinger1977

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like i need to slacken that collar thing then, mine protrudes a good 3-4mm into the rack mount.
i'll try to take it down to the local garage to see if they have a suitable tool, seems to be a very odd shape.

yep Richie its almost there, only mirrors and a bit of dash padding left. A few bits and bobs from Stoneleigh and it should be ready

-Rog

marc n

posted on 30/4/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
some have the internal hex some have two slots, either are a pain in the ass to adjust but make a huge difference to the steering smoothness

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dillinger1977

posted on 2/5/07 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
sorted now, while the rack was off I took it to a garage near my work who didnt really have any suitable tool but gave me an old oil drain plug from the parts bin. It was slightly too large so i had to grind it down a bit, but once in, some molegrips got it turning so slackened it way off.
the steering is very light now and it seems to make a bit of an effort to center (albeit slowly!) so perhaps that should do it.

-Rog

chockymonster

posted on 2/5/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
It only has to attempt to.
I found it difficult to work out if it was self centering, it's only when I set it with no caster I realised how much it was working!

RichieC

posted on 2/5/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Good news Rog, wouldnt mind finding a suitable tool to sort mine. Am I right in thinking you can get to the adjuster with the rack in the car? (nose off)

Rgds

Rich

procomp

posted on 2/5/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi just remove nose and the adjuster is easy to get to.

If you lift the front of the car so front wheels are clear of the ground you will be able to feel the adjustment diference easier. But remember you still kneed a bit of resistance as what you are adjusting is the mesh between the rack bar and pinion. If left with verry light preshure you may well have a bit to much play in the mesh of the bar and pinion.

Cheers matt

Dillinger1977

posted on 3/5/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
Good news Rog, wouldnt mind finding a suitable tool to sort mine. Am I right in thinking you can get to the adjuster with the rack in the car? (nose off)

Rgds

Rich

i did mine with the whole thing out, but once installed again I had a sneaking suspicion that it'd be doable with just the bonnet off
(assuming you have the correct tool of course!)

-Rog

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.