Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bench seats
Catpuss

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Bench seats

OK, its probably been done to death but searching for info is either not comming up with what I'm after or showing my ineptitude.

Anyone tried bench seats in an Indy? If so were they scrach built or the back seat of a particular car? Did they require much modification?

Doing the work ain't a prob, I just don't want to re-tread gound that someone else has already prooven.

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Locost Seats

These where fitted like this for SVA ( seat belt height issues) then I repadded them after the test for more comfort. Rescued attachment seats.gif
Rescued attachment seats.gif

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Seat Backs

Rescued attachment seatback.jpg
Rescued attachment seatback.jpg

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Last Pic!!

Rescued attachment 34seats.jpg
Rescued attachment 34seats.jpg

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I did some from a volvo rear seat done in leather. They were very comfy but got the chance of some cat seats for a steal so I went for that instead. Sold them to some lad from Hull.
We got marine ply and cut the shapes out.
The leather was reworked by cutting the middle out the seats and stapleing to the board. A small amount of stiching req but it was done on my old singer and came out really well for under 40 quid all in.

They are a good way to go trad style instead of the newer stripped out look.

one thing is to make sure you enough support under the thighs and tilt the base up slightly at the front to get max comfort

[Edited on 30-4-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

BenB

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
If I may do a quick thread hijack- Mangroveworkshop- do you use a Treadle singer or a hand-cranked one?
I'm looking at getting one for my half soft-top....

Catpuss

posted on 30/4/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Nice,
Leather work isn't a problem. I've been doing leather work for re-enactors for years and if I can't do it I have a friend with the sort of sewing machine that could stitch two cows together.

smart51

posted on 30/4/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with a bench seat is that the passenger is restricted to the same leg room as the driver. If you are making seats, why not make them separate?
Bluemoon

posted on 30/4/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you make two diffrent thickness backs, you can swap passanger amd drivers side, if you need make it fit two drivers...

Dan

Humbug

posted on 30/4/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
If you make two diffrent thickness backs, you can swap passanger amd drivers side, if you need make it fit two drivers...

Dan

Neat idea!

MustangSix

posted on 30/4/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
The problem with a bench seat is that the passenger is restricted to the same leg room as the driver. If you are making seats, why not make them separate?

A passenger simply ruins the power-to-weight ratio.

panichat

posted on 30/4/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting

What are the SVA fitting requirements for seats like these that rest on the floor?
Is there any way to build in adjustment to accomodate driver height differences?

Cheers
Dave

Catpuss

posted on 30/4/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of bench seats with an additional booster seat backrest for when SWMBO wants to have a pootle around. I can then keep that on the passenger side when she is not in it.
Peteff

posted on 30/4/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
passenger is restricted to the same leg room as the driver

There are no pedals in the passenger side, or are you a driving instructor?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MustangSix

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The seats I cobbled together from plywood, foam, and an old set of Mustang seat covers are in the photo section.

[Edited on 30/4/07 by MustangSix]

Mike Wood

posted on 7/6/24 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of a thread revival.

I am thinking of making bench seats for my Locost and just wondering if anyone has done this recently for a build to pass Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) in the UK so has experience and hints and tips to pass on please?

Looking at the IVA manual it looks possible to use a bench seat that will conform to the requirements as long as they are fixed securely (so the base fixed at the front at two points from underneath and rear of the base fixed at two points plus the rear upright squab secured) and that I have head rests too, which for a bench seat I was thinking of two separate cushioned pads fixed to the rear roll over bar at appropriate places for passenger and driver, plus making sure the seats did not interfere with harnesses or seat belt fitting and operation (and ensuring harness/seat belts are mounted in the correct position with suitable mounting design and construction for strength).

Was going to follow advice on the thread as well as Ron’s book, using marine plywood, foam and vines covering and a hardwood piece to raise the front of the seat.

I note the IVA manual uses the seat base height and rake in various requirements.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks
Mike

gremlin1234

posted on 7/6/24 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wood
Was going to follow advice on the thread as well as Ron’s book, using marine plywood, foam and vines covering and a hardwood piece to raise the front of the seat.

Exterior ply should work. you won't nead marine ply, it does not need to be salt water submersible.

Mike Wood

posted on 7/6/24 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wood

Exterior ply should work. you won't nead marine ply, it does not need to be salt water submersible.

Many thanks, yes I should have said exterior grade plywood suitably coated - marine plywood does not come under the category of ‘Locost’!

JoelP

posted on 7/6/24 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just skimmed this thread and for a second thought that Peteff had come back.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.