Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digidash, brake lights, and stuff...
gingerprince

posted on 1/5/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Digidash, brake lights, and stuff...

I have an ETB Digidash (Mk 1) with datalogging. It has the facility to log a brake light, so I can see when I brake on track etc.

12v to the signal line logs a "1" for that time instant, and iluminates the (!) symbol on the dash. This is presently wired up as handbrake/low brake fluid as the symbol suggests but obviously this isn't an interesting logging parameter.

I'm wanting to change it to log brake light, triggered with my brake line pressure switch.

Based on this I have a couple of questions: -

1. Is this bad practice safety wise, in terms of having the light illuminate for handbrake, foot brake or low brake fluid? It will obviously only show low-fluid warning if handbrake off AND not braking, though I guess the idea is that the you get a warning before total brake failure and it should be noticable when not braking?

2. The digidash manual states "brake light logging" which makes sense as a useful parameter to log, however the fact that it illuminates the (!) light on the front seems to contradict this - might be off-putting when driving having red warning light illuminating every time I brake?

3. If I'm going to provide 12v from brake pressure switch OR from the relay in handbrake/low fluid circuit I presume I'll need a diode to isolate the circuits, otherwise handbrake/low fluid signal will illuminate the rear brake light. Is this the correct way to achieve this, and if so is there a particular type of diode I need for 12v automotive use? Maplin reference would be handy.

Any other thoughts from any other Digidash or similar owners that have done a similar thing?

Oh and I'd rather not have a separate light on the dashboard to move the handbrake/low fluid light since to make it look "right" would mean basically remaking my dash!

Thanks,

Simon

furyblade35

posted on 2/5/07 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon,

I am sure there is a software upgrade for the DD1 to allow you to switch off the light in the configuration if you are using this input for logging purposes when racing. e.g. so you can log braking without the light coming on. Oviously you would switch back and disconnect the brake light circuit for normal road use.

I believe there wasn't enough inputs on the connectors to offer both at the same time.

gingerprince

posted on 3/5/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll drop them a line.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.