Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fan switch
ricklawn

posted on 2/5/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
fan switch

HI guys
To fit a fan override switch, is it best through a relay????
Cheers
Rick

ReMan

posted on 2/5/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
If your fan is powedd by a relay, point the switch at it.
If not, no, just get a heavy enough switch

stevec

posted on 2/5/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I did mine, Just make sure any wire that you use to the fan is of the correct rating,
Steve.

ricklawn

posted on 2/5/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
sorted
Cheers Steve, you are a gent....

RazMan

posted on 2/5/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have never understood the need for an override switch? Surely that's why the rad switch is there. If you think you are running hotter than you should, why not just get a rad switch with a lower temp rating?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 2/5/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Supposed to be so you can switch the fan on if you see a traffic jam coming up and preempt the high temps....
Personally I don't see the need.
I do, however, see the advantage (and disadvantage) of having the fan switched using a permanent +Ve so that the fan can continue after you switch off the engine to get rid of engine heatsink.... Then again, flat batteries are a strong possiblity if it goes pete tong!!!

gazza285

posted on 2/5/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I do, however, see the advantage (and disadvantage) of having the fan switched using a permanent +Ve so that the fan can continue after you switch off the engine to get rid of engine heatsink....

That will just give you a cool radiator, the engine will still be hot. If you restart within 5 minutes or so you will then dump cold water into a hot engine, not good. Some cars do have the rad fans permanently connected to the thermoswitch, but I do not know why. A better idea is the Davis-Craig electric water pump, which runs on after to cool the engine, but even then I would not recommend having the fans on as cooling the engine too quickly does it no good.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 2/5/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
That will just give you a cool radiator, the engine will still be hot. If you restart within 5 minutes or so you will then dump cold water into a hot engine, not good. Some cars do have the rad fans permanently connected to the thermoswitch, but I do not know why. A better idea is the Davis-Craig electric water pump, which runs on after to cool the engine, but even then I would not recommend having the fans on as cooling the engine too quickly does it no good.

Spot on Gazza - I've got the DC water pump and the controller which does as you say. Once again, the fans only kick in when my engine temp rises above 95 degC then switch off when the temp falls to 90 degC. The pump continues until things cool completely (which is quite slow)
My engine is pampered

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.