Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Immobiliser
graememk

posted on 2/5/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Immobiliser

what have others put on there kits ?
Andy from the MK Owners club asked me what i was using the other night, and to be honest i hadnt thought about it. i've had a quick look on ebay but didnt see anything that got my eye.

nitram38

posted on 2/5/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Toad Cat II thatcham transponder immobiliser. Only £40 on ebay. You will need it either professionally fitted or signed off by a certified auto electrician if you want the benefit of cheaper insurance.

NeilP

posted on 2/5/07 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
My donor had an old Scorpion set up on it which was in perfectly good order - plumbed it in to kill the ign feed to the ecu and the feed to the starter pack...

Any immobiliser is going to offer you a damn sight more protection than a steering lock and you should underestimate the 'Feck Off' factor of a blinking red led on your dash. My insurers set out a long list of conditions in terms of any additional security product making a substantial difference to the premium but was always going to put something on...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Paradoxia0

posted on 3/5/07 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I got a Toad Thatcham Cat II transponder off eBay too for about £40.

After a bit of headscrating the cables to cut with it became obvious so I fitted it myself. When I get the car SVA's I'll get it certified by a local fitter to get cheaper insurance.

It was certainly worth fitting for my piece of mind alone!

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

flak monkey

posted on 3/5/07 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I bought one of these:

Clic ky

Doddle to fit. But bear in mind if you fit it yourself it wont knock you any money off your insurance as it wont be certified.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RazMan

posted on 3/5/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Flak, that immobilisor looks as though there is only one or two connections to make - is it really that simple?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 3/5/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
The pics been simplified a touch.

Theres an earth, permanent live, switched live then all of the other wires just tap into existing circuits on the car. eg starter solenoid feed, coil feed, fuel pump feed etc. Then theres a pre-terminated connection for both the RFID loop and the LED status light. Theres lots of wires, but its very very simple to connect up and it comes with easy instructions. Its also got a door open trigger too, but you can just leave it disconnected if you dont have doors, like most of us as it auto arms after 20secs once the ignition is turned off.

It lets you cut off up to 3 different circuits, each with 2 seperate sets of wires, just to confuse any potential theif even more.

David

[Edited on 3/5/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

cossiebri

posted on 3/5/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've also got the same as flak,just haven't fitted it yet (got to get it started first!)
had a quick look at the instructions,was going to fit a switch to earth to replicate the door trigger

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

flak monkey

posted on 3/5/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
No need for a switch to replicate door trigger. Just leave it disconnected.

Sera

Paradoxia0

posted on 3/5/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
My Toad is the same.

There is a cable for a door plunger switch (I was going to add a dask switch to earth for this) that turns the imobiliser into "read" mode to scan for transponders. I discovered that as soon as the ignition went on it went into read mode anyhow so it isn't needed.

Works a treat too! The following day when I went out with the other key without the transpoder on it took me ages to realise why nothing was happening when I turned the key (yes I am a muppet at times

There is no replacement for displacement...

RoadkillUK

posted on 3/5/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I used one of these, I modded it a little so it can't be activited while the ignition is on.

HERE

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.