Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 36 piston Diesel
snapper

posted on 5/5/07 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
36 piston Diesel

I think this is a Diesel train engine, looks like 2 pistons per bore, i think i saw something similar ( only 2 cyliders) in a car and it was a two stroke diesel.
Any ideas?

Schematic video

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rusty nuts

posted on 5/5/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Commer , one of our now defunct motor manufacturers did a three cylinder, two stroke, horizontally opposed diesel years ago that had two pistons in the same bore
zilspeed

posted on 5/5/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I think this is a Diesel train engine, looks like 2 pistons per bore, i think i saw something similar ( only 2 cyliders) in a car and it was a two stroke diesel.
Any ideas?

Schematic video

The deltic diesel was used in diesel electric trains. The engine drove a huge generator which drove traction motors on the bogeys.
These engines were also used as backup power at navy establishments as well, Faslane the trident base being an example.

The engineer that machined my K series cylinder head had a a Deltic engine plate on the wall of his workshop and he told me all of the above. When the engines were decommisioned, he had the task of building furnaces big enough to take chunks of the cylinder blocks so that they could melt them down for scrap.

[Edited on 5/5/07 by zilspeed]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/5/07 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
One famous model engineer made a model deltic engine - 3 banks of 3 cylinders, 6 pistons per bank, 3 rings per piston... all built from raw materials.

I can't remember the total capacity, but the whole engine could easily be held in two hands.

DJ

Postscript: I did a Google, and found this:

That looks like 6 banks of 3 - scary, innit!

[Edited on 5/5/07 by David Jenkins]

mark chandler

posted on 5/5/07 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
They also used to make twin cylinder varients, these go used to power the hydraulics used on hyabs on lorries.

Sounded like a manical two stroke, very harsh knocking sound when racing away.

Last saw one over 20 years ago on a loggers lorry.

Peteff

posted on 5/5/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
The Commer two strokes used to absolutely scream, you could hear them coming from miles away. They would never get through noise regulations now without massive silencing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

cossiebri

posted on 5/5/07 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
The two stroke deltic diesel engine is still in use in all of the navy's minehunter fleet.Up until a few years ago I used to have to 'decoke' the exhaust's using a harben jetwash(around 700bar and 34gpm!)the whole job would take 3 men 5 days to complete

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

stevec

posted on 5/5/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
They have one in the Coventry motor museum, cutaway so you can see the whirly bits.
A good place to visit by the way, some very interesting stuff in there.
Steve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.