Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ford probe engine
oadamo

posted on 6/5/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
ford probe engine

hi has anyone ever used a ford probe engine.what engine is it as ive seen one on the scrapyard but they have funny rocker covers on them. its the first time ive seen this engine
adam

meany

posted on 6/5/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
is not a mazda?

http://www.fpoc.co.uk/content/theprobe.php

[Edited on 6/5/07 by meany]

lifted from that page.

The base model received a new Mazda 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine with 16 valves and dual overhead cams producing 115 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 124 foot/pounds of torque at 3500 rpm. The GT model was powered by the new 24-valve Mazda 2.5 litre V6 engine with multi-port fuel injection, four cams, and a computer controlled variable induction system.

[Edited on 6/5/07 by meany]

oadamo

posted on 6/5/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
it was deffo a probe by the pictures the engine but a 4 pot. only iam after a block and head to use as a project so i can strip it in my spare time and convert it to turbo. iam just looking at all the engines i can to way up the pros and cons of each one iam gonna buy some rods and pistons so i can use any block
adam

oadamo

posted on 6/5/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
it was deffo a probe by the pictures the engine but a 4 pot. only iam after a block and head to use as a project so i can strip it in my spare time and convert it to turbo. iam just looking at all the engines i can to way up the pros and cons of each one iam gonna buy some rods and pistons so i can use any block
adam

oadamo

posted on 6/5/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
adam

meany

posted on 6/5/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
The base model received a new Mazda 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine with 16 valves and dual overhead cams producing 115 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 124 foot/pounds of torque at 3500 rpm.

must be that one then

StevieB

posted on 6/5/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think the probe shared it's chassis and mechanicals with the MX6. It's probably a ford derived angine, just as the mx5 engine is too.
meany

posted on 6/5/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
lifted from that page again.
depending on the model year...but ithink the earlier was only V6 anyway...
i may be corrected at any time..lol.

For the 1993 model year, the Ford and Mazda design teams merged once again to give the Probe a complete restyling and the second generation Probe was born. Again the new Probe was to share its understructure with Mazda's MX-6 and 626. Ford concentrated on the interior and exterior styling, while Mazda engineered the engine and chassis.

stevebubs

posted on 6/5/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I think the probe shared it's chassis and mechanicals with the MX6. It's probably a ford derived angine, just as the mx5 engine is too.

?? Not sure what lineage the mx5 engine has with ford engines of the past. Whatever it is, it diverged quite a few years ago....

The current duratec inline 4 is a development of Mazda's own DOHC I-4 as used in Probe, MX5, 323F etc since the early 90s

scottc

posted on 6/5/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meany
The base model received a new Mazda 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine with 16 valves and dual overhead cams producing 115 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 124 foot/pounds of torque at 3500 rpm.

115 BHP?! Thats a little dissapointing. I assumed they made more than that. but to be honest never actually thought about it.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/5/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not the best engine to start with if tuning is your intention, supply of aftermarket parts for this engine will be minimal compared to e.g. a Ford or GM engine.
oadamo

posted on 6/5/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Probably not the best engine to start with if tuning is your intention, supply of aftermarket parts for this engine will be minimal compared to e.g. a Ford or GM engine.

i no but the engine looks good with that rocker cover lol. iam just looking ive just bought a zetec 2L that iam gonna run on bodies and megasquirt but i want to build a turbo engine capable of about 500bhp so i might buy another zetec and put some money into it. its for the track car iam building. but iam buying a landrover next week for a run around so i can start stripping my rs so i might use that and keep the zetec for my locost build when my garage is built in the next couple of weeks
adam

Blakey_boy

posted on 7/5/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Be very careful about blowing any engine as the head for normally aspirated and turbo have different profiles for the inlet and exhaust. I know that to change the head on a cossie from one to another works out at around 1200 quid, so be very careful. The max output full race for cossies is around 540bhp. And a BDG 2litre turbo type cossie is 650 bhp.

Doing all this will cost you a bundle and if you manage to get the figures above it will be a pig to drive in traffic.

Gene Hunt:- If anything happens to that car, I'm coming round your house and stomping on your toys, Understand?

MikeRJ

posted on 7/5/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
i no but the engine looks good with that rocker cover lol. iam just looking ive just bought a zetec 2L that iam gonna run on bodies and megasquirt but i want to build a turbo engine capable of about 500bhp

500bhp is a lot of power for a 2L car engine. It's doable if you start with the right engine but it will be an expensive exercise as you will be needing a full steel bottom and, forged pistons etc. for most production engines to make that kind of power with any semblance of reliability.

Does it have to be a 2.0L inline 4? A big V8, e.g. Chevy LSx might be a better start, even brand new these engines are excellent value and the Tremec T56 gearbox is available to mate up to it.

Blakey_boy

posted on 7/5/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and by the way going by Burtons cat for tuning zetec or cossie it will run up to 12 grand or more to get the output you want with the crank at 1500 quid alone
locost_bryan

posted on 11/5/07 at 04:39 AM Reply With Quote
The Mazda B-series engine in the original MX5 is a pure Mazda design - nothing to do with Ford.

Check out these sites for more info on the Probe engines :-
http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/linktoV6.htm

Pre-92 will have FE 2.0 litre, or F2 2.2 litre, or F2T 2.2 litre turbo.

Post-92 will have FS 8v 2.0 litre or FE3 16v 2.0 litre.

The bell-housing bolt pattern changed post-92, and both are unique to that engine family.

The current Duratec is a clone of the Mazda MZR (as used in the new MX5 and Mazda6), and has a unique bellhousing bolt pattern.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.