Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do I join all these bits then?
Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/03 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
How do I join all these bits then?

I am planning to use sierra pedals, and want to know how others have connected the brake pedal to the master cylinder?

I have removed all the bits from the servo and my first impressions are to bore out and thread the longer rod and then externally thread the smaller one to make it length adjustable - is there an easier/better/safer way of doing it?

What is the optimimal distance of the pedals from the floor, I know foot size will probably determine this, but has anyone regretted a pedal setting and will allow me to benefit from their mistake!

Thanks in anticipation

Mark Rescued attachment BrakeBitz.jpg
Rescued attachment BrakeBitz.jpg

James

posted on 6/8/03 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I am planning to use sierra pedals, and want to know how others have connected the brake pedal to the master cylinder?

I have removed all the bits from the servo and my first impressions are to bore out and thread the longer rod and then externally thread the smaller one to make it length adjustable - is there an easier/better/safer way of doing it?

What is the optimimal distance of the pedals from the floor, I know foot size will probably determine this, but has anyone regretted a pedal setting and will allow me to benefit from their mistake!

Thanks in anticipation

Mark

I've just finished mine using Sierra and Micra bits but unfortunately my parents have had the indecency to take their camera with them on holiday!

I'll see if I can borrow one!

Cheers,

James

James

posted on 6/8/03 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
P.S. Are you going for top or floor mount pedals? And/or were you planning on using the Sierra ones or making new?

Cheers,

James

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/03 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have had an exiting day (need to get out more perhaps?). I was worried about the pedals but it has gone together like Lego.

I have taken out the bushes and cut them in half, to make the pedals closer together, now 50mm gap between the pedal rubbers. This means the pedals will fit between the steering column and the tranny tunnel Rescued attachment PedalsCloser.jpg
Rescued attachment PedalsCloser.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/03 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have also used the primary rod to actuate the master cylinder, to stop it falling out I have fitted a bolt to take the strain off the brake lamp switch. This gives me 33mm of travel for the piston, which looks right looking at the old marks on the rod.

This has gone together so smoothly, I think I must have overlooked something. Please tell me now before I weld it all in at the weekend! Rescued attachment PedalsShaft.jpg
Rescued attachment PedalsShaft.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/03 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Everything together, too simple to be OK? Rescued attachment Pedals&Cylinder.jpg
Rescued attachment Pedals&Cylinder.jpg

JoelP

posted on 6/8/03 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
looking at that, its just dawned on me that the brake switch is missing on mine. is that where its meant to go?

must say it looks a lot better than mine. If the brake pedal is adjustable (i'm gonna do trial and error) and the gaps are SVA good, and mountings and steering all work, what can possibly go wrong?!

remember you need the right tilt on the cylinder and fluid container...

[Edited on 6/8/03 by JoelP]

chrisg

posted on 6/8/03 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at your piccy's brought back memories of trying to set those evil "quadrant" type clutch pedals (the yellow bit) they've had some nails and skin off me! Can't understand why Ford ditched the old adjuster and lock nut (on the other end of the cable) simplicity it's self. Bloody so called self adjusters never work any way.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stats

posted on 9/8/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ihave just taken the pedal assmbly out of my sierra and know what you mean about skin and nails
Has anybody used the servo off the the sierra??

Thanks
Stats

JoelP

posted on 9/8/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
i chopped the servo up out of curiosity! many reckon it isnt needed, the book as well, so im just going with the crowd! when you get it out you realise the clutch has something you can press to get more slack! I nearly ended up sawing the cable off....
Northy

posted on 12/8/03 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

Looks very similar to how its done on the Avon. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing
Tiger give you a machined rod that fits between the master cylinder and pedal, and does the same as yours.

On the Avon, you have to shorten and straighten the pedals, but I guess you knew that didn't you?

Graham

Catching up after my Honeymoon

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 12/8/03 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have not had to shorten the pedals at all, I have altered the spacing and relocated the clutch cable tube so it is still in line with the quadrant. I have altered the angle of the U shape of the clutch pedal so it does not foul the tranny tunnel - looks like grew there now
Chris_R

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
what's everyone done about the stop for the self adjuster behind the clutch pedal? Surely if the pedal moves that needs to move too, or does it?

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 9/7/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I just left the whole lot standard sierra Rescued attachment Clutch.jpg
Rescued attachment Clutch.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Chris_R

posted on 9/7/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of not having to straighten the pedals. Does it all still mate up ok? The self adjuster I mean. Oh, and when you say you cut the bushes in half, is that the one on the clutch and the brake pedal, or just the clutch?

Cheers,

Chris.

[Edited on 9/7/04 by Chris_R]

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/7/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
You have to keep the brake pedal in its original position so it still mates up with the master cylinder. I cut the clutch one in half and half either side of the pedal to move the clutch pedat about 20mm closer to the brake Rescued attachment Clutch Move.jpg
Rescued attachment Clutch Move.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.