Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Floor rivet requirements?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 8/8/03 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Floor rivet requirements?

Ive just finished fitting my floorpan with adhesive and rivets and i was wondering if there are any requirements about the number of rivets you use? Ive used about 34 which seems to be a lot less than other people but i would have thought combined with the adhesive it would be more than strong enough, any comments?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 8/8/03 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK there is no actual requirement that specifies such things, and i don't think you will have a problem with it. So long as the panels are secure and look solid you will be ok.

i]Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
Ive just finished fitting my floorpan with adhesive and rivets and i was wondering if there are any requirements about the number of rivets you use? Ive used about 34 which seems to be a lot less than other people but i would have thought combined with the adhesive it would be more than strong enough, any comments?

scoobyis2cool

posted on 9/8/03 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
great, thanks for that, thought id just check before i put the rest of the car together, wont be so easy to turn over once its fully assembled (except maybe at 120mph!)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/8/03 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
For anyone who's interested, i found out that the floor acts as a stressed member in the frame so the stronger it is the more it restricts frame flexibility. I added another 66 rivets in between the ones i already had to strengthen it up a bit
DavidC

posted on 15/8/03 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've gotta say, if you're after structural rigidity from the floor, you should consider using an aluminium honeycomb sandwich structure.

Similarly, ally honeycomb bonded into the sides would work wonders too, and increase crash protection.

It's one thing I'm condering doing to my Westfi3ld when I get to it's 1st rebuild (gotta finish the build yet!!!)

DC

www.dcane.dsl.pipex.com/new_toy.jpg

mreveready

posted on 3/9/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Stiff

Guys,
Think laterally!
Do not forget the centre tunnel panels! Well the ones you never intend removing. This forms part of the backbone.
Rivets simply hold the panels in place.

All none removable panels are now bonded with a massively over the top bonding sealer. I have been able to use less rivets (The rivet holes do weaken the chassis)
The panels will need to be literally ground off now and the chassis does not lozenge anywhere close to the original specification.

Hope this helps

www.mreveready.com

The pleasure has been all mine.
http://www.mreveready.com Online at last.

DaveFJ

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

you should consider using an aluminium honeycomb sandwich structure.

problems with this structure are:

1, Usually skinned with very thin aluminium and therefore prone to 'puncture' which of course removes strength. therefore not really suitable for floor panels.

2, prone to delamination where the skin comes away from the honeycomb, and again you have a loss of strength.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.