Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is this right? (Ratios now added)
CraigJ

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
is this right? (Ratios now added)

sprocket ratio. on the bike it was 17 tooth on the front and 47 on the back standard. So if ive worked it out right thats 2.7647058:1

Due to limited space in my chassis i cant fit a 47 tooth rear so if i fit a 14 front and using the above ratio the rear should be a 39 tooth. Will this work? I have to go smaller than 47 on the chain diff due to space and i need some room to tighten the chain.

Any advice welcome?

[Edited on 14/5/07 by CraigJ]

[Edited on 16/5/07 by CraigJ]

ReMan

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mainly right, but I suppose pedandicaly it's 0.362:1 on original, and 0.358:1 on your proposal
.Are you sure you can get a 14? there may be a physical limit how small they can go?

Wadders

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Only problem you might have, is the front sprocket wearing out quickly, smaller they are faster they wear.

Al.

CraigJ

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think i can get a 14 if not i'll just make one at work. Fingers crossed that it works.

CairB

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
A polygonal effect occurs with chainwheels that results in a cyclic variation in chain velocity versus angular velocity which increases significantly as the number of teeth reduces.

What this means is that at constant shaft speed the chain is being accelerated and decelerated as the chain effective radius changes which results in vibration and extra loading in the chain.

The maximum chain speed and power transmitted need to be reduced accordingly.

See Chain Design Guide on page 10.

Also the smaller the number of teeth results in extra link articulation which increases the wear rate.

You could consider using multiple runs of smaller pitch chain to get the tooth count back up.

HTH

Cheers,

Colin

[Edited on 14/5/07 by CairB]

CraigJ

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
eh? sorry but i dont understand?

Feel like an idiot.

ReMan

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CairB
A polygonal effect occurs with chainwheels that results in a cyclic variation in chain velocity versus angular velocity which increases significantly as the number of teeth reduces.

What this means is that at constant shaft speed the chain is being accelerated and decelerated as the chain effective radius changes which results in vibration and extra loading in the chain.

The maximum chain speed and power transmitted need to be reduced accordingly.

See Chain Design Guide on page 10.

Also the smaller the number of teeth results in extra link articulation which increases the wear rate.

You could consider using multiple runs of smaller pitch chain to get the tooth count back up.

HTH

Cheers,

Colin

[Edited on 14/5/07 by CairB]

Bloomin heck!!!

JoelP

he's basically saying that a sprocket is not really round, as the chain goes up and down over the teeth it has to slow down and speed up, hence vibration and wear.

[Edited on 14/5/07 by JoelP]

ReMan

Belt drive it is then
ReMan

posted on 14/5/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Belt drive it is then

Though realistcally, for how much use your "toy" will get, a bit more wear is probably a small price to pay for

FUN!

CairB

posted on 14/5/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if I confused, but the link I posted will explain the phenomenon which you can decide whether or not its relevant for your build.

Just a thought though, is matching the bike ratio what you want to be doing as you probably have different sized wheels and required peak speed to the bike?

Cheers,

Colin

CraigJ

posted on 14/5/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
No im not that fussed about matching the bikes ratio i just need a rough figure of what size rear sprocket to use as its been drawn up at work as a program so it can be cut by laser so i need to know roughly what size to go for. Im going to do a few sizes so i can swap them about to get the acceleration/top speed that i want but i just need a rough starting point. the wheels will be 13inh fitted with 185/60/13 i think so i want to end up with a good mix of acceleration and cruising speed. dont wan to be maxed out in 6th at 80mph if you know what i mean.

blue2cv

posted on 14/5/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
how many links do you think your chain will have, according to muffet gears a 30 link chain lasts about 30 mins before it overheats
ReMan

posted on 14/5/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
No im not that fussed about matching the bikes ratio i just need a rough figure of what size rear sprocket to use as its been drawn up at work as a program so it can be cut by laser so i need to know roughly what size to go for. Im going to do a few sizes so i can swap them about to get the acceleration/top speed that i want but i just need a rough starting point. the wheels will be 13inh fitted with 185/60/13 i think so i want to end up with a good mix of acceleration and cruising speed. dont wan to be maxed out in 6th at 80mph if you know what i mean.

I think you'll fin that theres not much difference in diameter of the 13" wheels above an dthe 17/18" from the bike, so you may just need to adjust gearing down to a realistic top speed you want to hit

CraigJ

posted on 14/5/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
ive left the haynes manual at work. i'll bring it home tomorrow and post up the gear ratios.

russbost

posted on 14/5/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
if you can't find a 14 tooth sprocket I can supply one for under £20, I'm running 14:40 & haven't had any issues with chain wear, but only do relatively low mileage (under 1000 pa)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CraigJ

posted on 15/5/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Whats its like with the 14:40? acceleration/top speed on one engine?

CraigJ

posted on 16/5/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Gear ratios for the 88 zx10.

1st 2.800:1
2nd 2.000:1
3rd 1.590:1
4th 1.333:1
5th 1.153:1
6th 1.035:1

I will be running 185/60/13 tyres.

CraigJ

posted on 16/5/07 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
begining of redline is 11,000 on the clocks.

How do i find out the primary ratio do you mean the standard sprocket ratios. If so they are 2.647:1 (45/17 T) is this any help?

Thanks for helping with this by the way.

CraigJ

posted on 16/5/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
1st 2.800:1 (42/15 T)
2nd 2.000:1 (38/19 T)
3rd 1.590:1 (35/22 T)
4th 1.333:1 (32/24 T)
5th 1.153:1 (30/26 T)
6th 1.035:1 (29/28 T)

erm is this any help? theres nothing i can see that is listed as a primary ratio

CraigJ

posted on 16/5/07 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
all the gearbox info is in the above pic. Where else could it be?

CraigJ

posted on 16/5/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Its the bottom one in the final drive section zx1000 B

CraigJ

posted on 16/5/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Primary Reduction Ratio 1.637 (95/58)

CraigJ

posted on 16/5/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
How do you work these out would be nice to know lol.

think a 42-43 might be what i go for not sure a bigger sprocket will fit in the available space.

Minicooper

posted on 17/5/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hello Craig,
How close do you intend to run the sprockets, I think on the ZCars Hayabusa minis the gap is only just above two inches, is it as tight as that or even tighter?

The ZX10 motors are big old lumps compared to the more modern 1000cc superbike engines which must 3 or 4 inches less deep

Cheers
David

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.