Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mk powdercoat is no good ?
jaylatti

posted on 15/5/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
mk powdercoat is no good ?

Is it just me or is anyone else having a problem with the powdercoat flaking off everywhere after only 18 months - its rubbish may as well be bare metal !!

[Edited on 15/5/07 by jaylatti]

stevec

posted on 15/5/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum, Quite an interesting opening post.
Perhaps it would be polite to introduce your self before slagging off a reputable manufacturer.
Mine is 18mths old now and no problems.
Steve.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 15/5/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mines five years old and we have not had any problems......preperation is every thing.

Welcome to the mad house please introduce your self

OX

posted on 15/5/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
the powder coat is the only problem iv had. but like chris said ,its the preparation that causes the problem

richardR1

posted on 15/5/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
No probs with mine.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

StevieB

posted on 15/5/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
While it may not be the very best powdercoating I've ever seen, the price is bloody hard to beat and I've had no problems with mine.
jaylatti

posted on 15/5/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Oopps sorry nice to me you all , my names Jason. I didnt prepare it for powdercoating so i guess i need to ask some questions elsewhere as it seems its not a common problem. Have all your cars seen wet roads ?
mark.s

posted on 15/5/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
welcome jayatti, i'll keep my eyes open for the MK in the bedford area ,
Don't know what to say about the powdercoating but i had a super 6 that did just the same, and a mate of mine has a striker with the same problem, never mind, a little maintainence here and there ... all part of kitcar owner ship

jaylatti

posted on 15/5/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Your right always something to do.
Catpuss

posted on 15/5/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
The powder coat isn't the best in the world, quite thin but then didn't cost an arm and a leg.

My bike has a powder coated frame. The sodding stuff is a nightmare as they powder coated the VIN plate and I still havn't got much of it off.

MkIndy7

posted on 15/5/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Our was powder coated by a Different company and on the whole were ever pleased with it.

We Cleaned it up ourselfes and it was spotless and had been wire brushed and wiped down completely before it was sent away.

The powder coating on the front end has started to lift but I'm pretty sure this had been caused by Radiator water and Anti-Freeze being spilt on it.. So warning to everybody!

And once it gets under the surface its pretty much has the ideal conditions to rust... hence the 750mc.. etc? not allowing powder coated chassis through scrutinering? am sure I heard that somewhere?

omega 24 v6

posted on 15/5/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm told it's all in the preparation before coating perhaps you've just got a bad one and need to querie it with MK . However even if it is a cheap option I'd not be happy paying for something that's flaking off.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

skippad

posted on 15/5/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi yall
My MK was built 2002/3, within a year the powder coating was flaking, i brought this up with Mk ( by this time Martin Keenan had sold business to his brother Mk Sportscars) who washed their hands of the matter, and advised me to take the matter up with Martin.
Anyway i felt this was going nowhere so i cleaned off all flaky bits and applied liberal amounts of waxoil and that seems to have stopped the rust advance.
If i knew when iwas ordering kit i would of sorted powdercoating myself from firms who i know do the job properly.
That aside i lurv my MK

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 16/5/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi 750mc have no problem in letting powdercoated chassis through scruteneering.

What the 750mc raised a point about was the fact that the chassis whith welded floors ussualy had problems with rust between the floor and the bace of the chassis after 3-4 years. Hence it is always better to rivet the floor on .

cheers matt

[Edited on 16/5/07 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 16/5/07 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I had my (self built) chassis blasted before I had it powder coated locally, this keyed the chassis nicely and gives the powdercoat something to grip against. IMHO this is what you need to do to get a durable finish. Coating an unblasted chassis where all the tubes are smooth and have only been degreased will lead to the powder coating chipping off as I've heard with some peoples builds when inadvertantly knocking/dropping things against the chassis and probably accounts for your problems where there maybe a small pinhole in the powder or a small chip allowing moisture etc to get under the coating and leading to it flaking off. It's a bit like when you want to paint some types of surfaces/materials and you need to use an etch primer for the paint to adhere and to get a good finish.

All imho and not directly related to an mk chassis, but powder coating in general.

Ned.

[Edited on 16/5/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.