Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single donor
Doc

posted on 9/8/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Single donor

Apologies if this has been asked before but I have done a search and turned up nothing.

I am seriously thinking of building a Luego velocity but I am unsure of which sierra I should use as a donor. Ideally I would like to use a single donor.

I would like a 2l pinto which can run on unleaded and rear disc brakes. Which model do I go for?

Also which gearbox as most people use the type 9 but I understand the MT75 is lighter so why not use this?

Was it just the 4x4's that had limited slip diffs?

Thanks

chrisg

posted on 9/8/03 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 Pinto's with P,PP,R or RR embossed on the head are suit able for unleaded, up to 1990, after that they should all be unleaded without markings BUT somebody may have changed the head.

All fuel injected pinto's have unleaded heads, but need an adaptor plate is needed to run carbs.

The Gls/4 x 4/Cosworth had rear disks, it's a light car, the consensus is that you don't need rear discs.

The MT75 wasn't fitted to the Pinto, only the DOHC engine so it doesn't come free with the donor. It's also quite a bit larger than the Type 9 (physically) although as you say it's lighter.

LSD on the Cosworth and 4 x 4.

Ideal model? 2litre GLS I think although you wont get the LSD or the MT75.

Or buy all the bits seperately

HTH

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Doc

posted on 9/8/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the rapid reply.
I appreciate that rear disks are not really necessary however IMHO pads are easier to change than shoes and discs look better behind 'open' alloy wheels.

I really wanted to avoid a Q plate so I understood that the major components (bar one) had to come from a single car.

I have no real preference for a gearbox and I'm not going to go to ridiculous lengths to save weight I just wondered what the pros and cons of the 2 boxes were.

Presumably if I were going to have some work done on the head, inserting hardened valve seats wouldn't be a problem.

JoelP

posted on 9/8/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i'd do it chris' way, at least i would if id've known that however long ago.... i ended up with a 1.6GL, so no discs for me. Not really arsed myself. Probs easier just to use whatever g box it comes with, ideally a runner so you can make sure all works. Auctions are brilliant on banger night, sierras are usually 5 to 50 quid, and usually running well, as they mostly are unwanted part exs from garages. Mine came with nearly new tyres!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.