Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What size wheels are you running?
Worzey

posted on 28/5/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
What size wheels are you running?

I've got 17" wheels on my Velocity with 205/40 tyres.

The previous owner extended the front and rear arches in a basic manner using some rubber mudguards and a steel strip so it would pass the SVA but I've never been that happy with the look.

I've had the arches re-sprayed and don't really want to put the extensions back on but don't think it would pass an MOT if they are hot on this type of thing.

It got me thinking.........

I could change the wings and arches and go for something wider but could change the wheels and go smaller and lighter.

I was thinking of getting some black 14" or 15" alloys with a larger profile and hope this would help reduce weigth a little. The wheels I have look great but are on the large size.

Is this a sensible move downsizing from 17" to 14" wheels? Anyone have any experience of a Velocity with these different sizes?

Caterham R400

RazMan

posted on 28/5/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of racers swear that smaller is better. A 17" wheel may look good but often the grip is better (and more comfortable too) with a smaller, higher profile tyre. Just look at Formula 1 tyres and see what I mean.
Less unsprung weight can only improve the handling IMO.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 28/5/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have 15" wheels on my Luego locost which I sometimes think are perhaps too big. Would probably stick with 14" if I build another
cidersurfer

posted on 28/5/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Two sets of 13" and one set of 15". Hardly ever use the 15" as the 13" make it feel more responsive and are lighter.

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

Humbug

posted on 28/5/07 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
14" because that is what was available when I was looking (2nd hand Westfield wheels). Personally, I think that 13" wheels look a bit on the small side aesthetically (though they may be better for track days/racing, as mentioned), and 16"+ look too big, so I would go with 14" again or maybe 15". I understand that a wider range of tyres is available for 15" than 14"
gulf zxr

posted on 28/5/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO 13" will give the best handling, feel and excelleration due to the weight, or lack of it. Hence most 7 type race cars use 13".

I used to have a 3 series BMW that had standard 15" alloys and I changed to 17" for the look and noticed such a difference in excelleration loss. So doing this on a car that weights so little would make a large difference. Just my 2 peneth worth..

ch1ll1

posted on 28/5/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
13" with yoko's and 14" toyo 888

the toyos are a good tyre but pick up all the grit off the road!
and end up in the car !

Worzey

posted on 28/5/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a search around on ebay and have a look for some black 14" rims and tyres. Could be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

What profile would be best for the tyres, obviously its going to be impossible to maintain the rolling radius so what other issues will I need to address?

Guess I'll have some 17" TSW alloys for sale in a while.

Sometimes I think I'm doing the kitcar thing backwards, bought it built and slowly taking it apart and selling bits

Caterham R400

Dave Bailey

posted on 28/5/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how this will work for me but I am using a set of compomotive mo's 15's at the back and 14's at the front. Got em cheap so will see how they go!

thanks
Dave Bailey

locostv8

posted on 28/5/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Pics of a friends Rotus with 17s & 18s. This was done to try to tame the built LS1.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

rickys2000

posted on 29/5/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Recently ordered Image EV 17" x 10" for the back and 8" for the front of my Viento. Should only be a couple of weeks now before I get them. Just need to decide on the tyres!
Peteff

posted on 29/5/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
look for some black 14" rims

Worzey, do same as everyone else and get silver then paint them with satin black p!ss cans

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Worzey

posted on 3/6/07 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Right - thanks guys for all your input.

Just got myself a nice shinny set of 14" alloys with good tyres which I will get sprayed myself. 17" TSW Freeze alloys with new Yokohamas anyone? - only done 400 miles!!!

Lets hope this improves the ride and acceleration a touch.

I might be on to something - Un-Pimp my Ride!

Caterham R400

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.