Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Live axle + pushrods and rockers ?
12a RX-7

posted on 28/5/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle + pushrods and rockers ?

Just getting round to sorting out the suspension on my project and it's getting very busy around the rear axle with the number of links and exhaust pipes that need to fix to it or pass around it all. (4 links + pan-hard rod + 2.5" pipe or 2x2" pipes)

Oh and the axle is only just over 1 metre flange to flange and the wheels are 11" wide (so you can see why I am stuck for space)
This got me thinking, has anyone used push-rod actuated shocks with a live axle before AND had a decent amount of travel ? The 4 link setup I've made is designed for -2" and +4" of travel and I'd like to keep it that way as the car will be set-up for drag racing as well as the road so compliant springs and dampers and good travel are required to give good traction.

Ideally I'd like to fit pushrods towards the outer ends of the axle and have the shocks mounted above horizontal (well inclined at 15* or so to match the chassis at that point) lengthwise in the car.

I had searched through and found this on a very old thread which I could remember seeing a long while back but it looks flawed in that there is very little scope for travel.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=144

As I have already got a set of shocks for using in a conventional position I'd be looking for a 1:1 ratio ... which I don't think is going to be practical without huge rockers?

I think It will just be case of squeezing them in where we can.

sorry for the novel ... hope it makes some sense!

[Edited on 28/5/07 by 12a RX-7]

procomp

posted on 31/5/07 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi mallaock sports cars used this type of setup on many of thier latter clubmans cars. So if you try a bit of research on them you should come up with some good ideas.

I will put a link up if i can find any good links to the inboard damper rear ends but info on the net is not verry good as a lot of what was done on these cars was all kept quiet. But works verry well.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.