Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminum treatment
thepest

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Aluminum treatment

Is there anything I could particularly use to polish/treat the aluminum of my locost to a matt finish?
I use the car for racing and it inevitebly gets those fine scratches on the surface and the aluminum gets quite dirty.
Has anyone done anything to prevent this?

Humbug

posted on 3/6/07 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
What I did was to wash off the dirt and then use a Scotch pad to rub it down to an even "brushed" finish. I got the pad from a DIY store - it was intended for rubbing down painted wood, I think.

If the scratches are minimal there are probably polishing treatments that you could use, but for me they would involve too much hard work, and the ali panels were already a bit manky, so they were never going to look perfect

[Edited on 03.06.2007 by Humbug]

RazMan

posted on 3/6/07 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I think you are rather limited to paint after you've rivetted all the panels on. Clear or silver anodizing would make the alloy weather proof and give it a nice satin finish - also adds some strength too as it hardens the outer skin, but this needs doing after the panels are cut and ready to fit.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thepest

posted on 3/6/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'll try the scotch pad,but maybe paint looks like the answer, is this a job I can do myself or do I have to take it to a professional sprayer? What sort of primer (if any) should I use?
Hellfire

posted on 3/6/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Caustic Soda - found in some drain cleaners. I used it for etching the engine reed valve covers.

Put it on - it takes about 10 minutes to burn a matt flat dull grey finish... wash it off. It's very dangerous stuff though so be careful!

Have a look at this site HERE it explains how to anodise but the important bit is the preperation part for you.

Steve

rusty nuts

posted on 3/6/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you need to use primer you will need an etch primer , probably safer than caustic soda?
bartonp

posted on 3/6/07 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Something to try on some scrap to decide if you like it first - rotary wire brush at high speed. It lifts & melts the surface, leaving a rough , random finish. Might trap dirt though.

Phil.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/6/07 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look a macspeedy car in the for sale bit.
thats scotchpads .....dont use a wire brush as it leave steel on the surface that rusts or get a scotch 3m buffer fine (hairy one not paper flaps) and stick it in the die grinder that makes a nice finnish
http://picasaweb.google.com/patrickjquinlan/MeetingAtMangos/photo#5067874272915134050

[Edited on 3-6-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

[Edited on 3-6-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/6/07 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rescued attachment DSCF0975.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0975.JPG

thepest

posted on 3/6/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
So in the above image attached, that is just using scotch pad? or has anything been painted over it?
02GF74

posted on 4/6/07 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
see my posts ,going back a year by now, about my bonnet prep; if I was oing it all agian, I'd paint it.
bobster

posted on 9/6/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have sprayed bare ali with a clear lacquer. Holts from any car shop. easy to apply and gives a good finnish form a tin.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.