Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I don't understand the Bike TB on Zetec Thing!?!?!
CAD Monkey

posted on 7/6/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I don't understand the Bike TB on Zetec Thing!?!?!

Hi Guys,

I am currently beginning my Haynes Roadster build and intend to use a 2.0 Zetec (Pre-95)with a Megajolt. But I am confused about the whole bike TB thing? Can someone explain why they are used, and what benefits they bring? and what I will need to get the same benefits etc. Also how much does this cost and are there any cheaper ways of running a Zetec setup? I know what I need to connect the Zetec to the MT75 but this bit has me totally lost.

Any help gratefully received,

Stewart

iank

posted on 7/6/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Throttle Boddies are just a cheap (relatively) way of moving away from a plenum injection system to throttle bodies without giving Jenvey £1000.

Throttle bodies in general allow more performance than a plenum, but more importantly are smaller and lower. If you go for throttle bodies, or keep the plenum you will need a full EFI controller i.e. megasquirt/emerald/omex/DTA/etc etc.

Your other option using a pre95 engine is carb's with the megajolt. You can either go the traditional route with webers, or use bike carbs.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

CAD Monkey

posted on 7/6/07 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate,

So how do I know which bike bits are suitable? Can I start off with bike carbs and then upgrade to TB's later? Or is it so much hassle that it's best to start with TBs in the first place?

Sorry about being a bit of a div on this, but I wouldn't have thought I could just go out and pick up any old bike bits and sling them on (?) Which would give the easiest setup?

Thanks again,

Stewart.

DarrenW

posted on 7/6/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
As said, the first thing to clear up is that Megajolt is ignition only and can be used with carbs. Magesquirt can be used to control the injectors of a throttle body system and will control ignition as well.

Just depends if you want carbs or injection first.

There are Zetecs on carbs turning out 200bhp +. Dunnel do some great conversions but can cost a bit. people on this site try and do similar things to the main stream tuners but on a budget which is where the bike bits and megajolt / squirt comes in.

There is an argument that off the shelf systems can be a whole load easier to set up bit if you dont mind some diy development and are quick to learn then the diy routes can be very rewarding (and conversely frustrating at times!)

iank

posted on 7/6/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you could start with bike carbs and move to throttle bodies later. A lot of people use the R1 carbs on a 2.0 Zetec, but I'm sure someone who's done it will be along soon with other options.

I'd suggest talking to Bogg Brothers as a first step.
http://www.boggbros.co.uk
If you look in the gallery they have pictures of exactly that setup.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coozer

posted on 7/6/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a pre 95 zetec with ZZR1100 carbs and Megajolt. Any 1 litre plus carbs should be OK although carbs with a TPS (eg.R1 carbs) would be better for the Megajolt.

I made my own inlet manifold to get it up and running.

My intention is to change to bike throttle bodies and injection later with Megasquirt, thats becuase I fancy using a supercharger

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

twybrow

posted on 7/6/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I could be wrong here, but I would have thought if you do want to start off with carbs, you are better off putting everything in for fuel injection in the future (return fuel line etc). I think the Megasquirt (home built fuel injection ECU) can be used to run ignition only and therefore work with carbs. That would mean when you want to change to throttle bodies, you won't need to start by building another ECU. By the sounds of it, you need to setup/tune carbs as well, so it may prove a better solution just to bite the bullet and go for injection. Plus you get better performance and improved fuel economy.

I think the usual carb/throttle body bikes are R1 or GSXR1000. I think most will work it is just that these are much easier to space correctly for the Zetec inlet.

cryoman1965

posted on 7/6/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to go the bike carb route first, i would recommend a carb with a choke no smaller than 36mm.

ZX6,ZX7, GSXR600srad. + others. All GSXR600srad have a TPS but this is not the case with the ZX carbs. They are fitted to the mid to late 90's onwards. Just double check that the carbs you buy have one.

ZX9 & R1 have a choke of 40mm and R1 costing a fortune. There are others that can be used and i am sure someone will be along to tell you.

HTH

Nige

Mave

posted on 7/6/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
And one thing that people seem to forget, is that you can also run your pre-95 Zetec with its factory ECU. It's really not that hard to do; I've never worked on engines and electrics before, and it started at the first try.
Maybe you don't have the room for the original manifold, but you could fabricate something. See my site for details. www.mk-indy.nl

By the way; in the future I intend to try the bike TB route. Just because it looks like a nice challenge.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 7/6/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
i went for the gxsr 750 TB's on my zetec, but as said above many can be used, As for cost mate, i payed a fair bit for my stuff as its all new but.....

..this is max what you should pay if you shop around....

£200 2 litre Zetec engine (135bhp)
£200-£300 mega squirt (cheaper if you make one)
£50 mega squirt loom (free if you make your own)
£15-35 EDIS(ignition) from scrap yard
£80-£180 throttle bodies (require a little modifing.
£50 for rubber hose and trumpets
£150 manifold to except throttle boddies

i used the standard VR sensor on the zetec and a modified flywheel with 36 holes to allow control of edis through mega squirt.

...and of course you require fuel pump and filters, and other pipe work but you require either way and possibly a lambda if you want to SVA it??!

i added a port and polish and high lift cams, just for a bit more power but 200BHP should be about what im running

[Edited on 7/6/07 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

CAD Monkey

posted on 7/6/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! Thanks for the replies guys!

Can anyone tell me what a Lamda sensor is, what it does and why I need one for SVA? Forgive me for being a bit dim on this one!

So are there any standard inlets for the bike carbs to Zetec or do I do a CAD model and have them fabricated to suit?

Are there any specific sites dedicated to this conversion??

Thanks again chaps!

Stewart

Krismc

posted on 7/6/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
...bogg brothers!!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

nre

posted on 8/6/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
My TB conversion diary may help. Read through both pages and you should get a reasonable idea of what you are taking on:

www.mymojo.co.uk

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

CAD Monkey

posted on 8/6/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys,

So if going for bike TB's could someone tell me when buying my Zetec engine, what other bits than the engine and ancilliaries that I'll need? Do I need any of the loom for example or will the megasquirt take care of this? I've seen a fair few engines on ebay etc. but haven't bid due to the lack of wiring etc.

I can't believe all the info I'm getting - thanks again!!

Krismc

posted on 8/6/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
you wont need the loom, but you will need some plugs and sensors, the VR sensor and plug is a must!!

Krismc

posted on 8/6/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
you wont need the loom, but you will need some plugs and sensors, the VR sensor and plug is a must!!

h4887

posted on 14/6/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Krismc, nice looking set-up! I've just got some GSXR TBs - can you tell me what inlet manifold you used?

Geoff

h4887

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Bogg Brothers??
bob

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Bogg Brothers make a tidy manifold, mine was about £180 for my fireblade cars. Rescued attachment zetec instaled 012.jpg
Rescued attachment zetec instaled 012.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.