Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 battery!
Arthur T

posted on 7/6/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
V8 battery!

i am after a battery that will turn over my 3.9 V8 the battery has to be small and cheap but powerful..... ideas?????

Many thanks

Arthur

[Edited on 7/6/07 by Arthur T]

Simon

posted on 7/6/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a diesel battery, but it's not small.

I'm gonna need another as current one interferes with my intercoolers, so will keep my eye on this thread too

Either replace battery with smaller item, or relocate to boot.

ATB

Simon

RazMan

posted on 7/6/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Teeny weeny Odyssey batteries are great

[img][/img]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kenton

posted on 7/6/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have a powervamp pv 30.
250mm x 97mm x 156mm. 840 amps!

nitram38

posted on 7/6/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kenton
I have a powervamp pv 30.
250mm x 97mm x 156mm. 840 amps!

For 5 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you car starts easy, then these will start your engine, but if you experience a lot of traffic, wet weather, lights on etc, then you will drain the battery quickly.
Remember that your battery is a reserve of energy for starting and when power demand is higher than your alternator can supply (such as tick over and everything on), it will discharge.
The higher the Amp hours, the longer your battery will provide a current, cranking current is a completely different thing.
A battery might provide 840 amps, but if it is a small amp hour one, then that cranking ability will be short too.
Race cars use small batterys for weight savings, but lots of race cars also have back up external jump start batterys.
By all means go smaller but allow for the likely useage.
I use a red top 25 on my car, but the engine is a 1.4 and I dont have a heater or wipers etc.

stevebubs

posted on 7/6/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ultima apparently fit the Odyssey PC680
goodall

posted on 7/6/07 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
deep cycle ups batteries about 60Ah excellent for any application, only cost £15 secondhand after having no use technically

79 civic

posted on 7/6/07 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
optima battery specs
optima batteries are pretty good, never had a problem with one.

RazMan

posted on 8/6/07 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Having used my Odyssey battery on my V6 for nearly six months now I can confidently say that they are fine for most engines (as mentioned, Ultima use this one and they often have 7 litre V8s
My car has all the creature comforts (heater, CD head unit, wipers, interior lights etc) and can easily start my engine even after a long period of slow traffic with the lights on.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 8/6/07 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
From my personal experiencses you would be best to go for the next one up from the Odesey 680.

If you are 100 % sure that you car will fire first time within 10 seconds of cranking ( and not stall again ) you may get away with it .

I ran a 680 for a while but gone back to my original after having to bump the car off a couple of times while finalising my EFI install

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

02GF74

posted on 8/6/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur T
the battery has to be small and cheap but powerful.....

1 out of those free is exclusive.

as said, go for an odyssey or equilvalent, small + powerful but not that cheap.

search my post about pc680 - where I bought mine from geezer on ebay - he can do bigger/smller sizes at a good prices, well cheaper than anywhere else I found inc. post.

cheapo batteris such as the charger/starter combo and UPS - aren;t really up to the sort of cranking amps you need so may work but not for long - a false economomonmy imo.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.