Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you paint
garratt83

posted on 8/6/07 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Can you paint

Hi

Just wondering has anyone here painted or coated there chassis. If so what with????

James

posted on 8/6/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Tin of Screwfix's Red Oxide followed by a tin of Homebase exterior black gloss!
Total cost about £15.

I did a minimum of 2 coats of the Red Oxide. (Exposed areas subject to lots of water/gravel got lots more).

Then the same again with the gloss.

In 2000 miles it's survived pretty well so far with no rust I'm aware of.

It doesn't look too pretty (you can see brush strokes on the floor) but it's a damn sight cheaper than shot blasting and powder coating!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

garratt83

posted on 8/6/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers James

Which parts did you do. Did you do all the frame as well??

James

posted on 8/6/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, perhaps I misunderstood you initial question- do you mean the steel chassis when you say 'frame'?

It's only the chassis I painted this way. Mostly cos I knew it'd be hidden by the ali bodywork and GRP and the interior panels!

HTH,
James

[Edited on 8/6/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

garratt83

posted on 8/6/07 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
cheers
DavidM

posted on 8/6/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Sprayed two coats of Zinc 182 followed by two coats of cellulose. 2000 miles also with no problems, and easy to touch up any chips.

David

nick205

posted on 8/6/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
2 coats of red oxide followed by 2 coats of chassis black. 1000 miles and lasting OK so far.

I am considering adding some spray on stone chip stuff to the exposed chassis parts under the car. You don't notice it in a tin top, but the gravel and sh1t that blasts the underside of your car is pretty harsh.

garratt83

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers everyone

Think I will do it James way, seem the best cos u don't see the frame as much.

James

posted on 8/6/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garratt83
Cheers everyone

Think I will do it James way, seem the best cos u don't see the frame as much.

To be honest, although it's what I did, I probably might well not do it that way again.

A 2nd time, I'd grease the chassis somehow (WD40 maybe), build the car, then strip it back and get it shot blasted and then powder coated. Then re-assemble the car.

Cheers,
James

Canada EH!

posted on 8/6/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can you paint

Back in the old days when aircraft had tubing fusalages, like a Locost, when repairs were made they would put an air fitting into the tubing and use an oiler (same as airpowered tools) and let it feed light oil into the inner tubes preventing rust. BUT there weren't a hundred or so pop rivet holes in the tubing, and don't even think of welding afterwards.
RK

posted on 8/6/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Search.
I read recently on here that you could cut TremClad (Rustoleum in the US, Hammerite in the UK?) with mineral spirits and paint it on with a brush or roller. Do a couple of coats and then sand 600 grit, wetsand 800 grit, and 1000 to 1500 grit. It looked very good on a car body, so it would probably work for us for a frame. I plan on doing this.

jgs

posted on 9/6/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I have the misfortune of having to build outside.

Having blasted the chassis clean i used 2 coats of Galvafroid Zinc paint.

It really does a good job of protecting the metalwork from the elements.

RK

posted on 9/6/07 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
I may be forced to do the same. SWMBO has threatened to take her half of the garage back. I may get one of those 8' by 8' plastic and metal garden sheds.
bobster

posted on 9/6/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
in '97 on my first build I used zinc 182 painted on with a celluslose top coat. however I have rebuilt the chassis this year and found it has gone rusty in several places. This time I have sprayed the rubbed down metal with upol etch primer (from halfords) which is excellent - drop something on it and it barely chips. I will now use 2 coats of high build primer with 2 cellulose top coats. You could just use hammerite or a cellulose top coat over the etch primer. I have sprayed waxoly (halfrauds) into all rivet/bolt holes. hope this helps. chris

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.