Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric Atom
Dantheman

posted on 10/6/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Electric Atom

I've been struck with the idea of building an electric powered Atom style car! I have no idea where to begin though really, such as sourcing a suitable motor, batteries etc etc. But I just thought I'd share it with you and see what you think. Does anyone know where I could get more info on building electric cars?

I'm not doing this because I'm worried about my "carbon footprint" or to be all green, I just thought it would be something differant.

Danny.

smart51

posted on 10/6/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking about an electric car too. There is an electric car builder forum but it almost never gets posts.

There are no good donors to get motors from. The G-Wiz / REVA is only 17.5 BHP. Automotive motors are much lighter than industrial ones but are much rarer. This is partly beacuse industrial motors are sized to run at 1500 or 3000 RPM. Run them at 8000 RPM in a car and the same sized motor makes 3 - 5 times the power for the same weight.

Car motor controllers are also thin on the ground. It would make for an easier SVA though, with no worries about emissions or noise.

Dantheman

posted on 10/6/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that this is not a very practical idea...
CraigJ

posted on 10/6/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
isnt there a video of an electric atom on youtube?

goodall

posted on 10/6/07 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
a good source of gel type lead acid batteries is "used" batteries from large ups units. they only ever get used for about 2 cycles in there life. can be got for next to nothing since theres no market besides to the battery re-manufacturers.

there might be lighter alternatives to gel type lead acid but theres a certainly the cheapest

iv been thinking of the idea of getting an old awd car, pulling the gearbox out fitting the 2wd version and then power the back axle by a electric motor, ideal for standing traffic and up to about 5 mph, then use the petrol engine for higher speed

nitram38

posted on 10/6/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Been done already

Fatgadget

posted on 10/6/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of info about EVs here
tegwin

posted on 10/6/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
You need a threephase motor and lithium cells.... to get the maximum amount of torque for the least weight

And as for the electronic controller....Its not a particularly complex system...go the locost route and make one

speedyxjs

posted on 10/6/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to make an electric car, get all the info you can on the electric se7en

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

StevieB

posted on 10/6/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
There was a Dutch company who built an electric Indy - they featured in a kit mag a year or so ago.

I can't remember the name, but I remember the article stated that MK were in contact and could supply the running gear - I remember because the performance was, well, electric and I thought about building a leccy indy myself.

Bit of a problem for going touring though

kb58

posted on 10/6/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
tegwin wrote
quote:
And as for the electronic controller....Its not a particularly complex system...go the locost route and make one

I can only guess you specialize in power electronics and/or are joking. It's far from easy to make your own. In fact it can be downright dangerous and burn everything to the ground. You think everyone knows about Rds and shoot-through? Hahahahaha.

[Edited on 6/10/07 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 10/6/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
quote:

I can only guess you specialize in power electronics and/or are joking. It's far from easy to make your own. In fact it can be downright dangerous and burn everything to the ground. You think everyone knows about Rds and shoot-through? Hahahahaha.

I have a degree in electronics engineering and work for a company that makes a 3 phase electric motor controller as part of their electric steering product. I'd be nervous of building my own with a 300 or 400V battery pack. I bet I could do it but I bet I've be scared to put my fingers near it.

Bob C

posted on 10/6/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I will do the electric kitten in the fullness of time..... It won't be a performance car though!
Motor - am using an idustrial TEFC induction motor, but getting it rewound, to use lower voltage.
Inverters is what I do for a living - so yes I'll be making my own,
It's a BIG job, apart from the drive electronics there are a stack of power converters required - battery charger (with power factor correction), fully isolated. 12V auxiliary converter for all the car stuff (horn, lights, wipers etc).
The motor & inverter will be liquid cooled using the heater matrix & probably diesel as the fluid.
New off the shelf items that the high performance guys are using is ruinously expensive & the PM synchronous motors have interesting safety issues when run in field weakening (high speed). And no way can I afford anything but lead acid caravan batteries!
I'll keep updating my website as and when I do stuff.
Bob

Mal

posted on 10/6/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the electric MK at a show and it was obvious that a lot of know-how about electronic thyristor motor drive systems and software was used. It was difficult to assess the costs involved, but I doubt it was cheap.
About 5 years ago a Tiger with electric drive featured on the front cover of Which Kit, or the other one.

Mal

RazMan

posted on 10/6/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Here's an interesting link showing some more info on electric sports cars - the Tesla is my favourite, followed by the Fetish.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 10/6/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
The motor & inverter will be liquid cooled using the heater matrix & probably diesel as the fluid.

Hot diesel and high voltage electricity. And some say water and electricity don't mix.

Bob C

posted on 10/6/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
. And some say water and electricity don't mix..

that's why I'm not using water....
seriously there's enough volts to electrolyse water - & I don't plan to install a de-ionising plant!!!!
You can light diesel easily enough if you have a wick. otherwise it's quite hard....
Bob

MikeRJ

posted on 10/6/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C

Would transformer oil not be more suitable?

Bob C

posted on 11/6/07 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Good point Mike - Diesel has 2 advantages, easy, cheap supply & compatibility with seals etc in automotive stuff - once you go more exotic it's hard to get compatibility data/guarantees. But the transformer stuff would undoubtedly be better electrically
Bob

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.