Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kubica,s ding
theconrodkid

posted on 11/6/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Kubica,s ding

according to my Polish friend he drove himself from the hospital and will be racing next week,tuff stuff?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
With a broken leg?? Even with a hair line fracture it hurts like hell , doubt he will be allowed to race
stevec

posted on 11/6/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I think the broken leg turned out to be a twisted ankle, Nothing like the media to blow things up eh?

"BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica has escaped serious injury after crashing heavily in Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix. Kubica suffered a light concussion and a sprained ankle in the high-speed accident."
Steve.

[Edited on 11/6/07 by stevec]

Fozzie

posted on 11/6/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
I think the broken leg turned out to be a twisted ankle, Nothing like the media to blow things up eh?

"BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica has escaped serious injury after crashing heavily in Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix. Kubica suffered a light concussion and a sprained ankle in the high-speed accident."
Steve.

Not so much the medias fault for once!
The broken leg announcement, came from the medical centre at the track, at the end of Sundays race.......and I believe......(could be wrong on this bit...)....confirmed by the BMW Sauber pit side.....at the end of the race....

I think that once Robert Kubica had been taken to hospital at Montreal, and more precise scans were performed, it was happily discovered that there was no break.

Even more of a miracle methinks....

Fozzie

Edited to amend my typo

[Edited on 11/6/2007 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Agriv8

posted on 11/6/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Broken leg or no broken leg.

My heart sank when I saw the second impact in slow-mo.

I know the first was a big hit but all the crumple zonenes and safty tub seemed to do there job.

The second impact with no impact zones left looked hard I know the Hans devices will have assisted but it still seemed a huge amount of head and kneck movement. Especialy as they seemed to be a long time assesing him before removing him. But if he was coherant and breathing ok I suppose they were checking that they wernt about to rush to get him out and cause further issues.

Not an expert just my ramblins by the way

Anyway glad that he has come out unscathed a testiment to the F1 doctors and safty designers

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

stevec

posted on 11/6/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
quote:
Originally posted by stevec

Steve.

Not so much the medias fault for once!
The broken leg announcement, came from the medical centre at the track, at the end of Sundays race.......and I believe......(could be wrong on this bit...)....confirmed by the BMW Sauber pit side.....at the end of the race....

I think that once Rubica had been taken to hospital at Montreal, and more precise scans were performed, it was happily discovered that there was no break.

Even more of a miracle methinks....

Fozzie

The media reported it to the likes of us though. And Who is Rubica?

robinbastd

posted on 11/6/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Who is Rubica?

Gosh, that's puzzling.

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

RK

posted on 11/6/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
My first thought was that he was checked out by Quebec doctors in hospital emergency. They told me my head was OK after a car accident too - scans the lot - but I was not OK, which was confirmed by three doctors later (including a neurologist) who confirmed post concussion syndrome. I still get frequent migraines which I never had before.

The moral of the story:

No such thing as a "slight concussion".

Fozzie

posted on 11/6/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinbastd
Who is Rubica?

Gosh, that's puzzling.

Ian

OOOOOPS!

At least someones paying attention.....best go and edit ...............

Fozzie

robertst

posted on 11/6/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
is it just me or did someone instantly remember senna's crash after seeing this one?

not only that, i havent seen such a crash since Roland Ratzenberger's one the day before Senna.

Tells you something about two things:
1. God
2. the incredible advance in safety in F1 concerning CF monocoques and how they can save a man's life from a head-on crash at probably more than 120mph

Tom

Fozzie

posted on 11/6/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Got to agree with Agriv8 there, first thing I said when I saw Kubicas' head going side to side...was.... I thought HANS was supposed to prevent that....... but so glad he had it anyway!

and yes......thoughts of Senna were immediate too

Fozzie

russbost

posted on 12/6/07 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
I think without the Hans device his neck would have been broken & yes, it was horribly reminiscent of the Senna/Roland Ratzenburger incidents. Modern F1 = very strongly built!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hoodie_Alex

posted on 12/6/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
The HANS device is designed to limit the forward movement of the head, not the side to side. If u watch, f1 driver still lean there heads in to the corners with the HANS device as much as they did before!
i also thought that his head moved from side to side a lot and i think they should maybe bring the cockpit side "cushion" a bit closer together or look at other ways of limiting side to side head movement.

Gergely

posted on 12/6/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
What I found disturbing is that there were no ambulance cars around the whole time. Just 3 or 4 normal cars, including the safety car if I remember well... Where was the ambulance? I would have thought they are supposed to be on the spot quicker than that.
But very lucky boy that Kubica...
Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 12/6/07 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoodie_Alex
i also thought that his head moved from side to side a lot and i think they should maybe bring the cockpit side "cushion" a bit closer together or look at other ways of limiting side to side head movement.

Spot on!

Whilst the HANS is obviously doing its job with the back/forward 'whip', there is also a lot of damage that can be done with the 'side to side whip'.

NASCAR implemented HANS after the death of Dale Earnhardt snr.

When you see their major prangs, you will see very little 'side to side' movement..... they appear to be fixed more rigidly than F1...
Or is it that the seat sides are more padded than F1..... I don't know the answer to that......

Perhaps our American friends can enlighten me/us there?

Fozzie

Paul TigerB6

posted on 12/6/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
There's only so much they can do to limit movement of the head - still need to turn their heads to actually drive the cars. Maybe they can afford to restrict movement of the head more on a gently curving oval track than they can for an F1 driver going around Monaco.
The safety in F1 these days is incredible but there's only so far they can go in its pursuit. Cant alter the fact that a car hitting a solid object at 150mph is going to cause injuries - the fact that its a sprained ankle is testament to the advances made.

Fozzie

posted on 12/6/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
There's only so much they can do to limit movement of the head - still need to turn their heads to actually drive the cars. Maybe they can afford to restrict movement of the head more on a gently curving oval track than they can for an F1 driver going around Monaco.
The safety in F1 these days is incredible but there's only so far they can go in its pursuit. Cant alter the fact that a car hitting a solid object at 150mph is going to cause injuries - the fact that its a sprained ankle is testament to the advances made.

Yep totally agree!
Fozzie

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/6/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
It would be tricky to make the head padding any closer to the head because then you limit the cockpit opening making it harder to get out in an emergency.

tks

posted on 12/6/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robertst
is it just me or did someone instantly remember senna's crash after seeing this one?

not only that, i havent seen such a crash since Roland Ratzenberger's one the day before Senna.

Tells you something about two things:
1. God
2. the incredible advance in safety in F1 concerning CF monocoques and how they can save a man's life from a head-on crash at probably more than 120mph

Dont want to raise a discussion but for me its only point 2 wich counts.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

russbost

posted on 12/6/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well 1 doesn't exist other than in the imagination does he?
OK I'll get me coat - takes cover

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
carlgeldard

posted on 12/6/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
For all those who didn't see the crash see the link below. The second clip shows the shocking speed at the point of inpact not seen on the TV footage.

Crash vid

Carl

JamJah

posted on 12/6/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Could be wrong but Im sure in the prerace buildup Brundle said they go from 185mph 6 gear to 30mph 2nd gear for the hair pin. Puts a bit more speed on it!

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest - once he'd hit the kerb and taken off he was just a passenger...

One hell of a smash, and amazing that he survived relatively undamaged.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.