Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Springs
JoelP

posted on 18/8/03 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Springs

I need a set of springs pretty soon now, just wondering where to get them from. GTS tuning have a set for 220+vat, does anyone know if they're any good? I'm down at MKs tommorow but their unit is 300 quid...

suppose 220+vat nearly is 300 though. Any suggestions anyone?

ta

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/8/03 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
the cheapest is zeemerides, which I have. The car isnt on the road, so i cant say yay or nay, but if you can afford 220 instead of the 180 the zeemers are, id try something that wasnt made by lolo.......

one little issue is the bolt eyes are imperial, 3/8 - I had to spend a tenner on a reamer to make em 10mm.

the guy from gts posts on here often - look in for sale section (darren?) and ask him about his own product!

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
.....one little issue is the bolt eyes are imperial, 3/8 - I had to spend a tenner on a reamer to make em 10mm.

Why Steve?.....Can't you get imperial nuts and bolts in the UK any more?

Serious question....not a wee take...(for a change)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Metal Hippy

posted on 19/8/03 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think he's one of the Euronuts that can't wait to scrap everything related to Britain...

Either that or it's just a Gusterwotsit thing.... Nutter that he is....

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/8/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan.

Its quite hard to find non metric fixings to the specific requirement I needed. Ie, approx 70mm and 110mm long - that were bolts and not machine screws. The major catalogs I have for industrial supply - rs and farnell - dont hold them, neither does screwfix.

I could have tried my local fixings supply counter, but I dindt have a lot of hope that they would have 6 off 70mm bolts and 2 of 110mm bolts off the shelf.

The closest I saw at a kit show was 5 quid a friggin bolt! That made a reamer at 8 quid plus vat a real bargain.

The answer for hippy is much shorter.

Bollox.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
.....one little issue is the bolt eyes are imperial, 3/8 - I had to spend a tenner on a reamer to make em 10mm.

Why Steve?.....Can't you get imperial nuts and bolts in the UK any more?

Serious question....not a wee take...(for a change)

dozracing

posted on 19/8/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
GTS shocks are £220 including VAT!

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 19/8/03 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all!
stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/8/03 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
How many british nuts and bolts on yer beemer then hipster?

You old flag flyer you....

quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy
I think he's one of the Euronuts that can't wait to scrap everything related to Britain...

Either that or it's just a Gusterwotsit thing.... Nutter that he is....

Metal Hippy

posted on 20/8/03 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Oh there's loads. Honest.

Regarding the engine, I wanted more power straight out of the box same as you did... Yeah it's making everything a touch more difficult but that's half the fun...

dozracing

posted on 21/8/03 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Can i just remind everyone that the latest info on Zeemerides from the members of this list are that the new spec. ones don't fit on Locosts.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

pbura

posted on 21/8/03 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,

Have you any plans to offer adjustable shocks?

Pete

dozracing

posted on 22/8/03 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I can supply a quality adjustable damper already through my association with Nitron (www.nitron.co.uk).

These are out of most Locosters price range. I don't want to make a Gaz or Avo as they are more trouble than they are worth as they are so poor and unreliable its in the basic arcitecture of that thype of adjustable damper. If i tried to do a quality piece in line with the non adjustables i do then the price would be prohibitively expensive.

If you build a car close to the one described in the book and use it for the road then my non adjustables offer the best solution. If you use adjustables you'll find them difficult to setup (their range of adjsutment is vast and only a few of the adjustments will be useful for you car), the adjustment mechanism makes them unreliable (the adjusters stick and leak), and the finish of the dampers is steel and the threaded part rusts and sticks making them look unsightly.

I know all this from years of manufacturing and rebuilding shocks including Spax, Avo and Gaz's, also including high performance race shocks etc..

Kind regards,

Darren

jack nichs

posted on 22/8/03 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I got my adjustables from AVO. Nothing wrong that I can make out. Used them in US for years without trouble. If you tell Nigel the spring poundages you are using, he will adjust the valving to suit.

Just a satisfied customer and user!

Happy Day,
Jack.

splitrivet

posted on 22/8/03 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm what Darren said about zeemers,stay away from the buggers they are too long the mounting bush is a wierd size 41 mill wide.
Just had to do loads of extra work to get em to fit,they are cheap, mine cost £150 but they are seriously not worth the hassle.You have been warned (ooooooh that sounds wellard!!!!)
Steve re our swap, sorted the problem out mate sorry I havent been in touch but havent been in the office for 10 days so havent picked up any emails as I say I think the shocks would have given you problems re the mountings best with what you have got mate.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

avo uk

posted on 22/8/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
shock absorbers

very interesting to read mr darren from gts or dozracings, comments on avo shocks.

i feel because gts are not a avo customer they do not have a true understanding of our product. all avo units have plated threaded bodies helping to gard against road dirt and rust, valving has been specifically developed for the locost type car and our adjustment range is ideal to cover users from fast road to track etc, you will see many race users of avo coil over dampers, even in other classes like radical and ginetta. the adjusters will only stick if they are not maintained and greased it is not much of a problem to do.

if any builders would like further details of our product range, please do not hesitate to call us on 01604 708101 i am sure we can help

thank you for your time

nigel

ps if gts would like to become a trade dealer for avo shock, please give me a call and i will be happy to inlighten you with regard to shock absorbers etc

macbrew

posted on 22/8/03 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
If your mounts are as book (taking into account the error on the rear axle mounts) then GTS shocks fit perfect.

If your not racing there's just no point paying £100 + for adjustable damping. The car is gonna rattle your teeth out anyway.

pbura

posted on 22/8/03 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If your not racing there's just no point paying £100 + for adjustable damping. The car is gonna rattle your teeth out anyway.

Ah, that's the point. I'd like to soften the springs for ride (maybe--the lower end of the normal spring rate range might be just fine), use a front anti-roll bar to keep the handling. Adjustable shocks would be nice: no jiggle or wallow).

Pete

Stu16v

posted on 23/8/03 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

. If you use adjustables you'll find them difficult to setup (their range of adjsutment is vast and only a few of the adjustments will be useful for you car), the adjustment mechanism makes them unreliable (the adjusters stick and leak), and the finish of the dampers is steel and the threaded part rusts and sticks making them look unsightly.

I have also had used Avo's for years for racing and more recently road use. It was my first mod to the Westy when I bought it, and now the Locost adorns them with pride. I have never had a problem at all with the units.
The other benefits that they are rebuildable, which may not be 'so' important on a Locost, but damage can be picked up whilst racing, track days etc. And its nice to know that if the shocker is repairable, Avo will do so. The last time I had one repaired, IIRC it was approx half the price of a new unit, including P+P....
Also that you have flexibility in ordering the shocker that you want from Avo. Doesnt sound *that* important? Well considering that there isnt many of us here that are building 'standard book' Locosts, you will almost definately require changes in spring poundage (V8 engine versus BEC, differing weights of vehicles IRS etc, etc), longer or shorter units (wide track front suspension, IRS, Dedion, live axle etc). If you need to change the springs, then you also need the ability to being able to adjust the shock absorbing characteristics of the unit, even if you dont have "perfect' adjustment over the range required it's still better to be 'in the ballpark' than have no adjustment whatsoever.
And finally, driver preference. Some like it stiffer than others

BTW, no connection with AVO, just another customer....

Dont just build it.....make it!

MattWatson

posted on 23/8/03 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Having some experience working in the media area of off-road racing / dune buggies, I can see that even with the distance between south USA and Europe and GB, nothing changes!

You have two quality opponents in shock absorbers, and everyone disagrees. Most will find fault with either, so there is no solving anything.

Just an observation.

Carry on

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

Stu16v

posted on 24/8/03 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Matt, I do not have ANY problem whatsoever with the Nitron product, in fact, they do look good value for money, but only for someone who is building a *standard* Locost (whatever that might be). But for someone (who happens to be trying to sell the above product) to publically rip apart other popular shock absorber manufacturers, is taking the wee a bit.
IME Avo shockers have served me well, and I am only preaching this so readers do not get a (very?) biased view. Yes, I have Avo's on both my LSIS cars. And I have played around with the platform AND damper settings to get the cars to handle how I want them too. Would they handle the same with unadjustable Nitrons? Who knows, they might even handle better.
But I wouldnt of had half as much fun, playing with settings, and giving it another thrash......

Dont just build it.....make it!

Viper

posted on 24/8/03 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I have used AVO shocks on several cars from road going tin tops to circuit cars and grass track cars, a real shitty enviroment for shocks grassers are, i have never had a problem with any shock supplied and the service i have recieved has been top notch (even had the boss stay late to help sort out some shocks for me) thats why i am using AVO's on my Avon.
Oh and it helps they are only 15 mins from me.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/8/03 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge

Cheers,
Syd.

Mr.Moderator, I would ask that you remove Mr.Dozracings previous reply, and allow him to replace it with one a little more in keeping. Feel free to edit this as needed as well. Thanking You, Syd.

[Edited on 23/8/03 by Syd Bridge]

Syd.

Im not a moderator but...

We dont employ active moderation on here. People get on nicely and gererally dont squabble.

People give their own opinions and if they dont like what they read they let it pass.

Very few on here are experts, most people give helpful genuine advice.

If you see something you dont agree with, let it pass. Its not for any individual to be more right than others.

There have been many occasions where I have got flack - in fact only last week I was called a TWAT on this forum.

You have to respond with tolerance and good nature, or things get out of hand.

I respect what doz and rorty says, and I also respected in the past what you said.

As it stands, you are beginning to undermine your own opinions by being overly agressive. It really doesnt matter how right you feel you are - over agressive 'selling' of your ideas isnt going to make people listen to you - it will have an opposite effect.

I thank you for your GRP advice to me and hope you continue in the group providing helpful advice.

Rorty has also given me good advice in the past and seems to be extremely respected on here.

play nicely

Steve

ChrisW

posted on 24/8/03 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mr.Moderator, I would ask that you remove Mr.Dozracings previous reply, and allow him to replace it with one a little more in keeping. Feel free to edit this as needed as well. Thanking You, Syd.

Syd

This is a open forum where anyone is welcome to express their opinion. If you don't agree with someone please feel free to reply stating your reasons why not. It's then up to the reader to decide who is right and who's wrong. Your aggresive way of attacking anyone who thinks differently to you is not appreciated.

Chris

My gaff my rules

Viper

posted on 24/8/03 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry chaps but i think syd has a point, dozracing has a history of slagging off AVO, Spax and Gaz just so he can push the product he sells, bit biased wouldn't you say?

Metal Hippy

posted on 24/8/03 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
And Syd has a history of slagging people off and being threatening via the forum and email.

Which one would you prefer to cope with?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.