Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for something to cut sheet ali
StevieB

posted on 17/6/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for something to cut sheet ali

Hi.

I'm looking to buy a toold to get a good quality cute on a sheet of ali (max run of about 1.0m)

What would people recommend from a choice of tine snips, bench shears, air nibbler or air shears. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money, but I do want to get a quality finish.

AdrianH

posted on 17/6/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just an old fashioned jig saw, the black and decker type or other make you can get different blades to suit!

If doing a straight line use a piece of wood and run the saw along that.

If doing a curve try string tied around the jigsaw and pulled tight against a fixed clamp to help with a radius. Clean with file or flap wheel.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

adithorp

posted on 17/6/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Wet the ali with parafin when you cut it. It stops the swarfe sticking to the blade.

Adrian

ReMan

posted on 17/6/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Best quality cut IMHO would be the nibbler as long as you can steer it straight
David Jenkins

posted on 17/6/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
The air nibbler would be my choice - if it wasn't for the millions of crescent-shaped bits of swarf that fall on the floor! They stick to your shoes, get carried into the house and, in my house, cause much grief!

StevieB

posted on 17/6/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Damn, I just bought an air shear on Ebay - fairly cheap, but hopefully it'll last a while.

I was put off the nibbler by the prospect of not being able to keep it going in a straight line wuite so easily.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/6/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have an air shear - it's worth practising with a bit of spare sheet the first 2 or 3 times, as it'll go in a straight line then suddenly veer off. Not its fault, just poor technique. It won't do corners, apart from slight changes of direction.

It's a useful tool, within its intended scope.

StevieB

posted on 17/6/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering whether it'd do corner at all, but figured at the very least a series of straight cuts finished with a file.

I've also seen a set of tin snips from machine mart that has left, right and stright cutters for just under a tenner - should be enough to take care of the finer details

AdrianH

posted on 17/6/07 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have an air nibbler as mentioned above, cuts the crescent shaped bits and also quite wide. I would need to consider before ever using it again, unless I could control where all the bits went, what a pain. Is useful for small radii and stuff like that but need serious practice first to keep it on line. Another thing I have seen used is a high speed router with carbide bit, again lots of mess.

Adrian

[Edited on 17-6-07 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Fred W B

posted on 17/6/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
If its only straight lines, another option is a thin slitting disc in a small angle grinder.

Clamp a tube to the sheet to give you a straight edge to cut against. Finish with production paper on a straight block of wood

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 17/6/07 by Fred W B]

chris_harris_

posted on 17/6/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for a jigsaw and a straight edge, with an appropriate blade in it. Finish with a file or wet and dry on a block, works for me.

Regards Chris

britishtrident

posted on 17/6/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
jig saw -- ultra fine tooth Bosch blade , clamp a bit of wood/lamminate board on to act as a cutting guide-
StevieB

posted on 17/6/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Liek I said, I've bought the air shears, but I'll bear in mind the jigsaw for the finer cutting and shaping of corners etc.
mark chandler

posted on 17/6/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Straight lines, jig saw for me with a bit of wd40 and clamp the sheet.

I have got a plasma cutter and nibbler, both work well, but are harder to control for long runs IMHO.

Regards Mark

Russell

posted on 17/6/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a straight cut and the ally is not too thick and hard try deep scoring both sides with a Stanley knife against a straight edge. Then gently bend back and forth to snap the waste off. This gives a surprisingly neat edge that just needs a minor amount of dressing with abrasive paper afterwards.
Yours for the cost of a knife blade.

bobster

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
jigsaw for me too. great for both straight and curves.
Mark Allanson

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Why make life so complicated, just use tin snips, its what they are designed for.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

awinter

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I used a good pair of kitchen sissors, 1mm thick bendy ali for my bonnet. The sissors are fine.
James

posted on 18/6/07 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Why make life so complicated, just use tin snips, its what they are designed for.

I have to agree. Was leant a very nice set of Snap-on (I think) set of left and right snip.

Absoloutely invaluable! Hard work when you're working 'deep' within a sheet of metal but worth it.

I found the best way was to cut the sheet with the angle grinder with about 1" extra margin (takesa about 10 secs with a good blade), then go back and cut with the snips.

Easy and looked great.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeRJ

posted on 18/6/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thought you weren't supposed to use angry grinder on aluminium due to risk of disks breaking?
NS Dev

posted on 18/6/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Straight lines, jig saw for me with a bit of wd40 and clamp the sheet.

I have got a plasma cutter and nibbler, both work well, but are harder to control for long runs IMHO.

Regards Mark

Jigsaw here too. I have an air nibbler, tinsnips, aircraft snips, air shears, air body saw, angle grinders and good old electric jigsaw, and to be honest the electric jigsaw gives about the best result in terms of speed and precision and lack of distortion added together.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I use my jigsaw for everything apart from dead-straight cuts - it is easier to control. You have to use proper metal-cutting blades, but they're easy enough to find. A variable-speed jigsaw is also helpful, but not essential.

The only downside is the amount of noise generated, esp. when cutting a full sheet. Great way to impress the neighbours.

StevieB

posted on 18/6/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used a jigsaw the other day to cut a piece of 5mm stainless - it took about 3 years to do a 140mm cut

Maybe that was alittle beyond the designed use for the tool

I'll be using a combo of air shears, tin snip and jigsaw for the various different bits and pieces - from what people are saying and the research I've done, there's no one toold that suits all purposes.

Alex B

posted on 18/6/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
A pair of quality WEISS tinsnips and a pair of gloves to avoid lockjaw cuts in the webs between you fingers. Cut a full 8x4 the other day with em.

Alex

Peteff

posted on 18/6/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used a drill mounted nibbler for all my aluminium and steel sheet cutting. If you oil the cut line it will last ages and doesn't take too much controlling. Rub the edge with coarse emery to finish it or use a de burring tool. Get some earmuffs though and watch out for the toenail clippings. Aviation snips or a good set of Gilbows are alright for shorter cuts but I wouldn't fancy cutting side panels from a 2x1metre sheet with them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.