Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina brake disk locktabs
chockymonster

posted on 20/6/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina brake disk locktabs

Guys,

One of the locktabs on my cortina hubs has lost both of it's locking bits which is obviously bad.

A kind soul has suggested using spring washers instead, now I hate spring washers with a passion so I'm not sure what to use. Would blue or red loctite be ok?

My local ford dealer are next to useless and can't supply replacement tabs and have suggested spring washers as that's what Ford used late on in the life of the cortina.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 20/6/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
loctite then mark bolt head at 12 o'clock with paint and observe before each drive.

if the mark moves, we need to think again.

but then again the tabs and brake pipe braket shouldn't be that diffictul to make up - have you tried biggred if they sell them?

flak monkey

posted on 20/6/07 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
They were still available from Ford 18months ago...

Otherwise they need to be lockwired.

Loctite isnt a good idea as it will let go once it gets hot. I would avoid spring washers too...

David

[Edited on 20/6/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

panichat

posted on 20/6/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some ...

...on ebay a couple of weeks ago.
Not expensive. Would also be easy to make.
Cheers
Dave

twybrow

posted on 20/6/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I too bought some off ebay a few weeks ago. Alternatively someone on here has a template for them. Find it, print it out and cut your own.

Fatgadget

posted on 20/6/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wire lock the bolts with one of these
Mal

posted on 20/6/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nordlock washers

I use Nordlock washers on my discs.
These are pairs of washers. One face has serrations which grip the metal and the
sides of the washer which is in contact with its mating washer have a series of stepped ramps to resist rotation.
See www.engservfast.co.uk
RS components may also sell them.

HTH
Mal

NS Dev

posted on 20/6/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I used loctite (green not blue, much stronger stuff and more heat resistant)and a torque wrench, no probs yet (400 miles only though)

SVA man was happy with this and loctite on the caliper bolts too.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

chockymonster

posted on 22/6/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've just uncovered a load of schnoor washers, similar to a belleville washer but they have lots of serated grooves to grip against both surfaces.

Those along with the remnants of the tab thingies and some loctite should do the trick. I'm going to mark the surfaces so I can tell if there is any movement.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 22/6/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
don't bother with the bits of locktab, the shnorr washers are brill, they are much better than anything else but not easy to get hold of!

Thye use them on vibratory road rollers ect to stop em falling apart

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

chockymonster

posted on 23/6/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
don't bother with the bits of locktab, the shnorr washers are brill, they are much better than anything else but not easy to get hold of!

Thye use them on vibratory road rollers ect to stop em falling apart

I walked into my local fastener place and it was the only type of lock washer he had!

Triggsy

posted on 23/6/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield do them

Link

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.