Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My moment on track today
Pants On Fire

posted on 30/6/07 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
My moment on track today

Just got back from Colerne in the wet.
Had a bit of a moment when the nut holding the track rod end to the upright decided to part company at c100 MPH.

It appears the thread was stripped as it left a swarf around the bolt of the ball joint.

First I noticed the car went a bit light and thought it was beginning to aquaplane, but as I slowed to c40 MPH and turned right into a tight hairpin, the car went dead ahead luckily on the main runway so bags of room.

I have no idea how this happened, all my suspension bolts have nail polish on them and are checked regularly as it was this morning before our first session.

No harm or damage done and all back on the road again, always the way that a 10p part fails. New track rod ends will be ordered on Monday morning.

[Edited on 30/6/07 by Pants On Fire]

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

alister667

posted on 30/6/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Extra excitement for free eh?

Good to hear no damage done.

I just heard today another mate Andrew Parkinson, racing at Kirkistown (practise I believe) in the p*ssing rain managed to ding his Indy Blade. A few new bits of bodywork and wishbones will hopefully see him back in action.

I once had the bottom ball joint on my front suspension drop out - by pure luck I was doing 5mph - after about 4 hours of driving the coast road at 80! I am a lucky man!

A mate had a bottom wish bone crumple at the approach to colonial - the fastest part of Kirkistown, I was following him and all I saw was a huge cloud of blue smoke. He reckoned the car was more controllable than he had expected on 3 wheels!

Ah, sure it gives us something to talk about over a pint!!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
birt

posted on 1/7/07 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote
Done up too tight?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.