Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suction pads
greggors84

posted on 4/7/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Suction pads

Anyone know where I can get decent sized suction pads from? Got a bullet cam and looking at making a mount so I can get high shots from the car.

Was thinking about 3 suction pads holding a flexible ali frame. Camera is light so suction pads dont need to be very heavy duty but secure.

Checked ebay and there only seems to be the small dent pullers, might try to adpat some of these if nothing else is about.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/7/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to just fit the bullet camera without a plate, try your local aquatic centre as the suction cups used to hold fish tank heater elements are about the right size to hold a bullet camera. Not sure if they'd be strong enough or not, but thats basically what was supplied with my bullet camera and they claim it will stick at 100mph+

gingerprince

posted on 4/7/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
a couple of years ago i made a suction mount for my bullet camera (to fasten it to my snowboard). I got the suction mounts from a soap dish I bought from B&Q Not the licky-sticky types, it was one where you turn the cap of the mount to suck out the air so it was pretty strong.

these days though you can pick up suction mobile phone holders etc off ebay for 9/10 of sod all, so I'm sure you could butcher some of those

RazMan

posted on 4/7/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
The type that hold the Satnav units are really good - it might be worth buying one to modify.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 4/7/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have a search for "Suction hooks".

e.g. http://www.romark.co.uk/proddisplay.asp?indexstr=SH3961B,SH3964B,SH3966B&indexstrtitle=Suction%20Hooks

Moorron

posted on 5/7/07 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Have a search for "Suction hooks".

e.g. http://www.romark.co.uk/proddisplay.asp?indexstr=SH3961B,SH3964B,SH3966B&indexstrtitle=Suction%20Hooks

great link, going to buy a load of them for my cam mount (s). Down the road from me too.

Cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/7/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
As mentioned, it might be worth checking out your local aquatics centre for something like this, as they should even hold the camera through the hole without any modifications.

matt_claydon

posted on 5/7/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
For heavy-duty ones that are easy to fix things to you'll want the ones used for carrying sheets of glass. Here:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18817&ts=25933

Or maybe even modify:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=35180&ts=25933

As it has a hand ball/socket joint which would be useful for aligning the camera.

[Edited on 5/7/07 by matt_claydon]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/7/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I think people are over-estimating the weight of a bullet camera somewhat, they're only about 50g and about 2" long, you could lift the whole car with one of those screwfix jobbies

matt_claydon

posted on 5/7/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I know they're a bit OTT, but they're only 5 quid, definitely won't fall off and due to the size will be much easier to either fix some kind of proper mounting for the camera to or just cable tie camera to the handles.

For any camera mounting you need it to be either completely rigid to the car or very well damped, otherwise the camera ends up shaking all over the place.

greggors84

posted on 5/7/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of making an ali frame, to hold the camera a bit higher above the car to get some different shots. Suction mounts need to be able to hold the frame steady, reckon 2 should do the trick.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

richijenkin

posted on 9/7/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Best suctions pads on the planet:

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcampro480.htm

Rig

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.