Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch Heavy - Type 3
sweston

posted on 26/8/03 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch Heavy - Type 3

XFlow 1600 GT, I think Type 3 gearbox (4 gears, clutch cable). Not sure whats inside for a clutch.

Problem, have tried to raise pedal box to provide more comfartable driving position. Haven't adjusted pedals, ie have not changed position of where clutch cable attaches, where pedal pivots ....

Problem - it has heavy before but the pedal box position was that you pushed with your heal. Have changed it so you can push pedal with the ball off your foot but its still heavy.

Question - is that normal ? should I move clutch cable connection closer to pivot point to get a better purchase ration ?

Type 9 5 speed, do they come with a hydraulic clutch ? Some people here fit toyota gearbox's to getr 5 speed with special local made bell housing.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/8/03 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
If everything is standard, the clutch should be faily light, you may have modified lever points in the pedal box, clutch lever or a modified clutch. I suppose you have checked the cable for resistance?

The type 9 is cable actuated and apparently is an easy conversion for the old 4 speed box, needing a shortened prop shaft. There is a NZ site showing all the details, but I cannot find it at the moment - sorry

Mark

sweston

posted on 26/8/03 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes checked cable, nice and loose/smooth untill I connect her up.
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/8/03 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
looks like you are going to have to split the engine and box to have a look see
JoelP

posted on 27/8/03 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I made my pedal badly so i literally came out of the seat when pressing the clutch, worked out the pedal ratio was about 3 to 1! Re-drilled the pivot and made it more like 5 to 1, now its fairly nice.

All i can think is either stiff inside the box, or if the seat was in a funny position it might make it feel heavy - i couldnt do mine at all til the seat was bolted in. Oh, and the cable routing, tight turns can make it hard.

ATB

sweston

posted on 28/8/03 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Measured it last night, got a ratio off about 5:1.

Looking around I see pedals being sold with ratios of 6/7:1.

I'll try mounting it closer to the pivot point to get a better ratio.

darren(SA)

posted on 28/8/03 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem (I think) took out the engine twice, got the clutch checked, eventually Davef pointed out that my pivot points were all wrong, I'll measure it up 4 for you ,just now and post it.

cheers
darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
darren(SA)

posted on 28/8/03 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
OK,

From the pivot point to where my cable is connected ---> 50mm

From pivot point to middle of pedal ---> 270mm

Height of pivot point above chassis ---> 90mm

I angled my pedal arm towards the front after the pivot point to save space on the height if you know what I mean.

This sorted my prob up perfectly

hope it helps

cheers
darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.