Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 1st to 2nd gear difficulties under hard acceleration
nick205

posted on 19/7/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 1st to 2nd gear difficulties under hard acceleration

Been on the road for a while now, but started out with a newly rebuilt engine so haven't been giving it full beans. Now I've got a 1100 miles on the engine I've been giving it FULL BEANS, but have been have problems getting into 2nd gear (from 1st) when really going for it and changing very quickly (fine at lower speads)

Is this a Type 9 characteristic or does it indicate a problem or am I just trying to change up too fast?

procomp

posted on 19/7/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi if you have a quick shift fitted it dose some times mean that you can beat the syncro's. Paticuarly 1st to 2nd Try slower changes to see if any improvment.

If not pull lid of the top and check syncro's are in one piece and that the blocker bars between syncro's are still all in place.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty

posted on 19/7/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
might be worth an oil change.
nick205

posted on 19/7/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Standard gear lever fitted, but intersting point as I had wondered about fitting a quick shift lever.

Still got the original donor car oil in the g/box - come to think of it I don't remember ever checking the level.

Thanks guys!

dave r

posted on 19/7/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
wrong or old oil will do that...
does it get better when the gearbox has warmed up ?

andylancaster3000

posted on 19/7/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
The haynes book of lies says that if you have a problem selecting first and second on the type 9 box it can usually be cured by using semi-synthetic oil. Please dont ask me how it makes that much difference though!
rusty nuts

posted on 19/7/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
The haynes book of lies says that if you have a problem selecting first and second on the type 9 box it can usually be cured by using semi-synthetic oil. Please dont ask me how it makes that much difference though!

The correct oil will help but if you have the wrong oil in it's going to be fun getting it out.Have used screenwasher tubing to syphon oil from a type 9 when in the car . A vacuum oil remover may help.

nick205

posted on 20/7/07 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
My first step is to check the oil level and top up if necessary.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.