Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: smallest suitable alternator??
albertz

posted on 24/7/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
smallest suitable alternator??

I am currently in the latter stages of installing my blacktop 2.0 Zetec. I opted for the Griffin Power Systems 'Total Ford Systems' setup, which uses the original throttle body onto a custom plenum chamber.

My problem is that the LRA100 alternator (which i bought specially) does not fit between the plenum chamber and the oil filter. Actually it does fit in the space, but there is no scope for adjustment, unless of course i came up with another method of tensioning the belt other than rotating the alternator - thats got me thinking......mmm!!

The LRA100 has a diameter of around 110mm.

I have read through various posts about suitable alternators etc, but this adds to the confusion.

So what i am wondering is, what is the smallest known, readily available (within reason) alternator that is man enough for the job? It would be ideal if you could provide some diameters as well.

I have read about the Charade, Micra, Kubota etc, but without diameters its difficult to tell whats the most suitable. As i have indicated in posts previously my geographic location makes it difficult to see the items at a breakers or spares shop.

Any help appreciated.

Must give the remote tensioning some more thought though!

caber

posted on 24/7/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got room to turn it so the body is in front of the engine? They aren't bothered about direction of rotation and you should be able to build a bracket that will mount on the engine block, it will need to be pretty stiff but doable.

Caber

ned

posted on 25/7/07 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Could you fab a bracket and move the alternator to the opposite side of the engine?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 25/7/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt that you will find a smaller diameter alternator so relocating the original one is probably your best option.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 25/7/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Why not ask Griffin what they recomend?

If they make the conversion kit with new plenum chamber etc, then they must have had to overcome this issue already.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.