Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: s2000 or civic type r
mmcelrea

posted on 25/7/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
s2000 or civic type r

Hi. Has anyone any experience of the s2000 engine or the new civic type r? Looking for 240-250 bhp reliable and cheap!!
Thanks

Hellfire

posted on 25/7/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Drop Chris Mason a U2U. He is a member on this forum and has previously fitted an S2000 engine into an MK Indy

Phil

Here is his S2000 build diary.

[Edited on 25-7-07 by Hellfire]

bobster

posted on 25/7/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
s2000 correct rotation and rear wheel drive - great choice - ring dewsbury auto salvage and ask for z - he will be able to sort you out with a low mileage engine. iirc there are problems with using trpe r engine (front wheel drive?)
Toady1

posted on 25/7/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
one thing tho...it wont be cheap!
AlphaX

posted on 25/7/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
get the audi turbo. might be cheaper!
imp paul

posted on 25/7/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
re civic type r

i have a type r civic and it rocks had it 3 years and its a very nice car model ep3 fitted full scorpion pipe de cat air filter mods ecu mods and it goes v well o and its not cheap
vinny1275

posted on 25/7/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the Civic type-r engines rotate the wrong way to make them rwd. putting it in a middy would work, get a 6-sped box as well.

Probably not locost tho, unless you can find one that's been rear ended.....

ned

posted on 25/7/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
civic type-r spins the correct way and can be made rwd with correct bellhousing, has been done in westfields. uk spec 197bhp and jap spec 220bhp iirc. I have seen them in use with hewland ftr transaxles eg juno racecars. For higher power supercharger is the easy option.

[Edited on 25/7/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mmcelrea

posted on 25/7/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I've heard that the primaries are critical on the s2000, also I need the standard brain, wiring loom and ignition. Is that the case?
Hellfire

posted on 25/7/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mmcelrea
Thanks. I've heard that the primaries are critical on the s2000, also I need the standard brain, wiring loom and ignition. Is that the case?

I believe C Mason used an Emerald brain...

Steve

AlphaX

posted on 26/7/07 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
both engines can run on any after market brain
ned

posted on 26/7/07 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaX
both engines can run on any after market brain

they probably can, but finding one that can actually make full use of the vtec/i-vtec system would be wise if you want to get the full potential power from the engine...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nick Skidmore

posted on 26/7/07 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ring John Beattie on 01952 727267.

He does a complete set up for these engines.

TB'S, ECU and dry sump.

Key to power is as I understand it, long inlet tracts and using the very odd looking standard exhaust manifold.

Power is 247 to 255 depending on day on his honest dyno. The really startling increase is at variable cam change over point where he found 55hp extra over the Honda set-up.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
neilj37

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
One of the guys in the office has a elise running with a Type R engine and is using an Omex ECU. Apparently you can't tune the engine to its best using an emerald. He did say that the Hondata ECU is the best to use.

[Edited on 26/7/07 by neilj37]

tobym

posted on 26/7/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
civic type-r spins the correct way and can be made rwd with correct bellhousing, has been done in westfields. uk spec 197bhp and jap spec 220bhp iirc. I have seen them in use with hewland ftr transaxles eg juno racecars. For higher power supercharger is the easy option.

[Edited on 25/7/07 by ned]

Is this true, Hi I'm new by the way, and currently researching my options also, I read that they rotated the wrong way for RWD gearbox, have you any links to any info online?

ned

posted on 26/7/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
check out the westfield wscc site and do a search on honda or civic engine, loads of info on there...

bobster

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
s2000 engine.
most ecus can control it incl. vtec etc. i am going to use emerald. it;s a deep engine so lots of folks use dry sump (£1200-1500). good power approx. 250 bog standard. 350 with supercharger (£3,000-5000) Lump is pretty cheap. i paid 1650 (23,000 miles) plus 150 for loom. 700 for ecu. I have heard that primaries are critical but i think this is just red (race engine design) propaganda. I am intending a matched 4 into 1 system. will let you know how it compares to the standard s2k. Be careful with dif ratio. s2k runs a 4.1, and therefore i'm using one on a custom de dion setup.
bobster

MikeRJ

posted on 26/7/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobym
Is this true, Hi I'm new by the way, and currently researching my options also, I read that they rotated the wrong way for RWD gearbox, have you any links to any info online?

The F20 (Civic) and K20A (S2000) engines are very simmilar and both rotate in the correct direction, and the S2000 comes with a suitable gearbox of course.

The Honda engines that turn "backwards" are the D, B and H series engines used in older Civics, Integras and Preludes etc.

tobym

posted on 27/7/07 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Great, any suggestions on bellhousing's to mate it(the CTR engine) to a RWD gearbox, or suitable gearboxes,ta.
jaylatti

posted on 28/7/07 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Checkout www.clockwisemotion.co.uk for some of the info you need..
tobym

posted on 29/7/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look like they're offering bellhousings/adapter kits yet.

Anyone have any experience in building their own bellhousings/adapter plates for other bellhousings/gearboxes?

MikeRJ

posted on 29/7/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
If this is going into a Locost, note that these are very tall engines and will well give bonnet and/or ground clearance headaches.
joetait

posted on 7/8/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had my S2000 Rush mapped yesterday over at Gosfield airstrip. John Beattie (RED) came down and spent the day dialing the fuelling and timing in to suit the Jenvey TB's and RaceTech ECU.
The end result was pretty impressive - calm, smooth and quiet on part throttle then pretty ballistic when booted.
(Sadly the 2nd S2000 Rush brought along couldnt be mapped as the ECU had gone pop due to a wiring problem.)
Once SVA is done, I'll take it up to Telford for a final mapping to smooth out any noticeable issues on the rollers.

J

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.